Chapter 15: Insanity

Herzig's point of view

November 26th, 2080.

The team's morale has been cut in half after Natalya's death. It broke Dakota into pieces mentally, and she has been a primal freak of nature after the incident. We've had to keep her restrained when we got back to the base. She is dangerous without supervision. We only let her off the leash after the enemy during an operation. However, we've been beating back the Neo Nazi advance, but we have not encountered the sniper that killed Natalya again.

The war has been painful, and costly to us. However, even though we've lost two members, we may lose Dakota. Her knee is healing slowly, and she can barely walk without limping. There is a chance she will be medically discharged soon, and it will force us to start taking on recruits again.

Currently, I was standing watch on Dakota, at the brig. We've been letting her fume, and I think the only way she will be herself is for her to kill that sniper. An idea then dawned upon me. I started doing research on who that sniper was, and I finally tracked her down. She had no name, and was only known as "Walrider". I opened Dakota's cell and said to her "Time to spill some blood.."

6 hours later

I tracked down the Walrider, turns out she was doing recon near our base, and one of the cameras caught her. Dakota was behind me, I could hear her breathing impatiently. We were deep inside the Black Forest, and I was watching the trail for the Walrider. I eventually saw her creeping down the trail silently a few minutes later.

Dakota apparently lost it, for she suddenly burst down the hill we were on, and drop kicked the Walrider off her feet. I went after Dakota, and I could hear her snarls of rage.

"So you've come to join your friend in Valhalla, I presume.." said the Walrider.

Dakota gave no reply, only a furious jab to the other woman's stomach. The Walrider retaliated by drawing her knife, and stabbed Dakota through her right knee, causing Dakota to have an outburst of pain. I deployed my wires, and wrapped them around Walrider's knife, and pulled it out of her hand. She drew a pistol and shot me in the shoulder.

I was knocked off my feet, and my shoulder stung, but I was still alive. But I wondered for how much longer? The Walrider was going to shoot me through the head when Dakota grabbed the gun, and made the Walrider hit herself. The Walrider countered by hitting Dakota in the throat, but this didn't seem to phase her. I was still down, but I had to do something.

I got up and tackled the Walrider as hard as I could, and yet somehow, she grabbed me by the arm threw me behind her using my momentum. I was stunned, but I could still see the fighting going on. Dakota and the Walrider were fighting in an almost completely savage manner, both seed to become wild dogs, circling each other in a predatory manner. Dakota charged the Walrider, and grabbed her around the waist.

The Walrider hammered her fist into Dakota's back, making her stagger. But Dakota wasn't ready to give up. She lifted the Walrider off her feet, and arched back into doing a suplex, and I heard a sickening crunch. As I got up, I saw Dakota roll out from underneath the Walrider, victorious. I realized that Dakota pulled a belly to belly suplex on the Walrider, and made her land on her neck, killing her instantly.

Dakota passed out shortly after the fight, and I had to carry her back. That night still gives me chills, to this day.