"Don't worry," Mama said urgently. "Just keep focusing on your will. Make Nature hear you."

Fawn vigorously nodded and once again attempted to have Nature carry out her will.

I want coffee! Come on, stove! LIGHT!

Nothing happened.

Fawn stomped in frustration.

"It isn't working!"

Mama slowly released Fawn's shoulders and slumped against her.

Laughing.

"What's so funny?" Fawn whimpered.

Mama kissed the back of Fawn's head.

"You're not ready to perform magic, sweetie," she said.

"What?"

"You're fully capable of doing magic. You're just not yet ready to perform it."

"But . . . how come, Mama?"

"Because it's absurd."

"Huh? What do you mean? I just watched you do magic."

"And it was the most absurd thing you've ever seen in your life. Even now, you don't believe what you saw. You can't achieve what you don't believe."

Fawn let that sink in. Mama was right. Absolutely right. There was no way Fawn was going to light a stove without turning the dial manually, let alone produce a cup of coffee.

"I'm sorry, Mama," Fawn said. "I want to believe, I just . . ."

"It's okay, honey. It took me a week before I was ready to do magic. And Grammy a month. It happens. You'll do magic when you're good and ready. And you'll be a great witch."

Fawn couldn't help but smile.

"Oh, Mama. . . . Thanks."

"I have a class in two hours," Mama said releasing Fawn and turning her to face her. "I should get ready. I don't want you trying anything you aren't ready to. Understand?"

Fawn nodded.

"Yes, Mama."

***

Mom had started shivering in her sleep. She was no longer warm and flushed.

She was cold and pale.

Cold beads of sweat littered her forehead and neck. A few times she jumped out of her sleep and began yelling nonsense at the walls.

More afraid than she'd ever been in her life, Lainey stayed by Mom's side, Mom's cold hand in hers. She was afraid not only for her mother, but for herself.

What if Mom was slowly turning? Would she bite her? Would Lainey get infected? If so, how long would it take Lainey to reach Mom's condition?

How long would it take Lainey to become a dead walker?

Lainey adjusted the comforter she had pulled up to Mom's neck. All she could do was sit there and wait.

Wait for Mom to get better.

Or wait for Mom to die.

And come back a monster.

The front doorbell suddenly rang.

Who could that be?

Lainey stroked Mom's hair and kissed her forehead before leaving the bedroom and making her way to the front door. She peaked through the peep hole.

Mr. Parker?

Lainey opened the door.

"Mr. Parker. Hi," Lainey said.

Mr. Parker seemed surprisingly composed. He was even wearing his favorite Hawaiian shirt and sandals in fifty-degree weather.

"Hello, Elaine. Is Karen home?"

"Oh, um, Mom's feeling a little under the weather. She's in bed, resting."

It wasn't entirely a lie.

"That's too bad," Mr. Parker said.

"Is there anything I can help you with?"

"No. No, it's not important. It can wait."

Lainey narrowed her eyes at him.

"H-How's . . . Mrs. Parker?"

When Lainey arrived back home with Benjamin the night before, Mrs. Parker and the dead mailman were nowhere to be found. She'd been wondering what became of Mrs. Parker after Keaton killed her.

And if it was her who bit Mom.

Mr. Parker looked thoroughly confused.

"Who?"

Lainey involuntarily gasped.

"Mrs. Parker. Susan? Your wife?"

Mr. Parker blinked several times.

"Elaine, what are you talking about? I'm not married. I don't even know a Susan."

Lainey gaped at Mr. Parker, not knowing what to say.

"You sure you're not the one who needs to lay down?" he continued.

Lainey massaged the sides of her head, her eyes closed.

"No, I'm fine. . . . You have a son!" Lainey opened her eyes. "You have a son in Baltimore! Jonathan."

"Look, I-I don't know where all this is coming from," Mr. Parker said, sounding slightly offended, "but I don't appreciate it. Give Karen my regards."

Mr. Parker turned and trotted back across the street without another word.

Lainey backed into the house, closed the door and leaned against it.

What is going ON?

She suddenly heard a disturbance coming from Mom's bedroom.

"M-Mom?" Lainey hesitantly called.

Nothing.

She slowly made her way down the hallway toward Mom's bedroom.

"Mom?" she called louder.

Before Lainey reached Mom's bedroom, she staggered into the hallway, aimlessly staring around.

"M-Mom . . .?" Lainey breathed.

Mom's cold eyes landed on Lainey. She emitted a low moan.

And charged at Lainey.

---

To be continued in Chapter 35...