"Mumble, mumble...Callie Williams, Sire." The first voice mentioned her name and suddenly the voices became clear.

"I don't care what their names are! I just want them brought here unharmed. They will not come into their full power until the next full moon. Bring them to me before then. I want that power."

The voice called Sire rounded and stared right at her. All she could make out of his appearance were his deep-red glowing eyes. He growled and fear speared through her, making her lose her concentration. The image disintegrated with such force that it threw her backwards, crashing her body into the wall. Everything went completely black as she slid to the floor unconscious.

Both Irene and Sam charged into the room after they heard the crash. Irene flicked the switch behind the door for the overhead light to see Callie sprawled at an awkward angle off the end of the bed. Sam scanned the room for intruders and when he saw none, he gently lifted her and laid her properly on the bed.

Sam brought in the bags and unpacked the chiller of blood into the fridge while Irene began to set up the table for the sun charming. Small bottles and plastic boxes lined the table, a large Pyrex bowl taking up the centre. When everything was ready, Irene left to check on her grandmother.

"Call me if she wakes, I'll get Grandma her breakfast and bring her back with me. We'll need her help for this."

Almost an hour passed before Irene called him from the top of the stairs. "Sam would you mind carrying Grandma down? I don't think she'll be able to manage the stairs."

As Sam lifted the elderly woman, he noticed how frail she felt – virtually skin and bones. He also noticed the smell of decay on her breath. He knew the odour was caused by advanced cancer and that the woman didn't have long left on this world.

"Set me down here son," the crone instructed.

Sam chuckled to himself. "Son indeed, I am ten times your age crone."

"Granted, but I am ten times more powerful. And my name is Rosemary, not crone." Sam nodded his head, accepting her superiority, and set her feet-first on the floor by the sofa. "She's the picture of Noleen, her great-grandmother, aside from her hair colour. Noleen's was a flame red."

"How do you know her great-grandmother?"

"We were in the same coven. She was my mother's best friend, my teacher and extremely powerful foreseer and healer. Her husband was a powerful telekinetic. Together they kept us safe from demons and rogue vampires."

Callie sat bolt upright her eyes wide with fear. She scanned the room, her gaze settling on the three who were watching her.

"Tell me it was a dream!" she begged. "Please tell me he isn't coming for me!"

"Who do you think is coming Callie?" Sam asked.

She told them of her dream vision and the red demonic eyes that had stared into hers as it ended.

"You have visions just like Noleen. He knows who you are, and he'll send his minions for you," the crone informed her. "But don't worry, he won't find you. This place is protected. You'll be safe here," she said with confidence.

Callie stared at the old woman with a mix of confusion and uncertainty. "What powers will I have that he wants them so badly and who is 'he' anyway?"

"I can't say his name as he'll hear it and any conversation we have after it. Names give power, don't ever forget that. Suffice to say he is the demon that killed your great-grandparents for their power. I believe he may be responsible for your parents' death too." The crone took a deep, wheezing breath. "He has been sending his minions to gather powerful witches, fairies – anything with enough power to help him escape the underworld. Noleen being a great foreseer knew that they were coming. She bound her and her husband's powers in such a way that only twin girls of her bloodline could claim them. Now, first things first. Let's get you out in daylight. You brought what we asked?"

Callie produced her hand with the ring and passed it to Irene, next her father's silver hunting knife, which she passed hilt first, and finally the dragon's tooth.

"Both of you join hands over the bowl and repeat after me. Per nostrum iunctus manuum, pectus pectoris, quod cruor, sino nos vestri vires ut ingredior in vestri lux lucis. (By our joined hands, hearts, and blood, allow us your strength to walk in your light)

Callie gritted her teeth in anticipation of the pain. Irene cut both their palms and let their blood pour into the bowl beneath. She added several other things from bottles, jars and tubs around the table, the final item being Callie's ring. The power radiating from the two witches increased, becoming almost tangible as smoke rose from the bowl. A flash and a loud bang resonated through the room. The blood in the bowl slowly disappeared as the ring soaked it up like a sponge and the wounds on their palms healed almost instantly. Rosemary fell to one side from exhaustion as the spell drained the last of her energy.

"Grandmother will probably sleep for a while," Irene said with a sorrowful smile. "You'll need to prepare for the claiming of your power tonight as tonight is the new moon. We'll need to start the chanting when the six other witches from my coven come over later to form the circle. Sam would you mind helping get Grandma back to her room? Then you should rest, you too will need your strength later."