|2| I Was Talking About Us

—–-–—•—–-–—
SCARLET
—–-–—•—–-–—

I take a swig straight out of the Jose Cuervo tequila bottle I swiped, which no one will be missing because of the price tag. I don't normally swipe things, but these aren't normal circumstances and I'm in dire need of a drink. What better way to forget your father is a philandering asshole than to drink an entire bottle of cheap tequila?

"I should have known." I pop the last sour Skittle into my mouth, crumbling up the wrapper and tossing it over to a nearby table. Leon looks at me as if I'm popping pills in front of him. "How could I be so blind?"

Leon flashes that gorgeous smile of his that any dentist would be pleased to say they've worked on. "You didn't see because you didn't want to." He gently places a warm hand on my arm. The safety his touch provides leaves me dumbfounded every time. "It wouldn't be the first time."

For some reason, I don't think we're talking about the same thing anymore. And I'm tired of talking about him. "Are we talking about my father or Ty?"

"You tell me." Leon says in a serious tone. He always has a serious tone when I speak about Tyler.

I take another swig.

How do I answer that without pissing Leon off? He probably hates Ty more than I do, and I'm the one he cheated on. He has never actually voiced his hatred of Ty, not to me at least, but he never needed to. What's understood doesn't need to be said.

I can appreciate that Leon respected me enough to never speak ill of Ty during my relationship with him, despite how much he dislikes him. His only concern has always been me. Why did I even entertain the idea that he was talking about Ty? And why am I still thinking of Ty? I'm not sure if it's the loud music or the tequila that's making it hard for me to think straight. It could be a combination of both.

"We weren't meant to be. I wasn't meant to be with him. I think I was meant to meet him so he could serve as a valuable life lesson, but in the end, things worked out exactly as they were supposed to." I say, unable to stop myself.

Leon stares at me for what feels like an eternity, and I can't convince myself to look away for even a millisecond. I find myself entranced, gazing into the most beautiful eyes I will ever see, and left completely in awe. He has, after all, the most beautiful eyes on Earth. They resemble Paul Newman's eyes in the way that they are utterly captivating and profoundly mesmerizing.

Leon's eyes are a breathtakingly beautiful blue, the bluest blue to ever blue, that makes the underbelly of glaciers look underwhelming in comparison. He has a gold ring around both pupils, making them the most unique eyes I've ever come across. When he looks into your eyes with those piercing sapphires, you cannot look away no matter how badly you may want to.

"I can't tell if you're trying to convince me or yourself." His harsh tone breaks me out of my daze.

"It's just hard to believe, that's all. The whole thing..." I hate talking about it, but once I start I can't stop.

"You walked in on them just like I did, Scarlet. What's so hard to believe? He's a fucking douche, always has been, and always will be. What I find hard to believe is how you stayed with him for as long as you did." He runs a hand through his beautiful mane. "You know, I blame myself for most of it. I should have told you how I felt about him. Maybe I could've changed your mind about him. I knew he would fuck up somehow. He is a walking talking fuck up, and I failed you."

"Leon, how could you even think any of it is your fault?"

"I was supposed to protect you." He says. I open my mouth to say something, but he shakes his head at me. "Let's not get into this right now."