HUNTED Chapter 13

"Everyone get down," Callen yelled.

One month on

She thought she'd gotten away with it. Nell had slept like a baby for the past month, without further nightmares. She'd dropped her walls around her heart and she let Callen back in. They were happy. Really happy and everyone on the team had accepted them as a married couple, as if they'd always been together. Even Eric appeared happy for them. But then a nasty case came their way. It brought up similarities of previous cases involving Marcel Janvier, and all colour drained from her face.

"Nell, are you okay?" Callen stepped forward, Nell and Eric were briefing them on their latest case, when he saw her go into shock.

She bit hard onto her lower lip until it bled. Eric looked over at her with worry, and immediately took over the brief on his own. Callen led her to somewhere quiet, hoping they could talk in peace.

"I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me. Really, G, I'm"--her body swayed, Callen gripped her hard on her upper arm to support her.

"You're not fine." He led her over to the bench seat and sat beside her. He turned his body to face hers, his hand on her lap, holding her hands in his.

"Are you sick?"

"No, I'm fine. I'm just..." what could she say? The case brought flashbacks of her own kidnapping to the forefront of her mind. Images of her confrontation with Janvier intermixed with Fellows. A wave of nausea overwhelmed her. She pulled from Callen's gasp and ran for the bathroom.

Her body was clammy. She leaned over the toilet bowl and heaved. She flinched when she felt hands on her back.

"It's okay, Nell. It's just me." Callen knelt down beside her and and gently rubbed her back.

Nell flushed the toilet and stood up. The small space felt hot and she needed to get out of there. Callen stepped back, allowing her access for the door.

Venice Beach

She'd been gone for half an hour. He eventually found her down on the boardwalk on Venice.

"Nell!" He saw her head for the beach and ran to catch up with her.

"Hey!"

"Hey!" Nell focused on the waves, wrapping her arms around her body and sat down.

He sat down beside her and studied her for a moment. "Are you okay?"

She shrugged. "Not sure."

"Hetty said you can take the rest of the day off, if you're not feeling well."

"I'm fine."

"No, you're not."

He gently placed his arm around her shoulders. She rested her head on his chest and breathed. That was all she could do. Nothing else mattered at that moment.

"I'm worried about you, Babe."

"You're always worried, G. About me, about all of us." She pulled away from him and heaved out a heavy breath.

"Of course I am. Why wouldn't I worry?" He knitted his brow, confused.

"Nell, what's going on?"

He saw her avoid his eyes, she was hiding something and his gut clenched tight.

"Nell?"

"I'll be okay. We'll be okay. You don't need to worry about me. I felt a little off, this case, it's brought back some flashbacks. I just need sometime to work through them."