The Deal

"Wow; congratulations. You're not coming home drenched." I hear the scoff in Justin's voice as I take off my jacket. I was coming home from work, tired and worn out. He wouldn't leave me alone when I came home after dinner a couple days ago. Why are you dripping? Did he make you walk home? You're going to get me sick. He constantly kept asking me question after question!
"Will you let that go?" I huff, sitting on the couch. I had a horrible day at work.
"Bad day?" I slump over onto his shoulder. When I huff out as a response he chuckles. "Nice answer." I lazily get up and scramble to my room. Getting into my sweats and throwing my hair up, I lay in my bed feeling my stomach tumble. Sometimes I really hate being a woman. I throw the covers over my head, hearing my door open.
"So, you don't want Starbucks, or Taco Bell?" I peal the covers back, revealing Caleb's cheeky smile. He held a frappuccino in his right hand and a Taco Bell to-go bag in the other. I smile, feeling my heart swell. He sits down on the other side of my bed, and I sit up to accept his gifts.
"Caleb..." I start, but he holds up his hand to stop my protest.
"Justin called me, so I thought I'd make you at least feel a little better." He smiles again, making me take the gifts.
"Thank you." He watches as I take out the soft taco. I look into the bag, seeing another one. I rip the taco in half, handing him the half. He first protests, but eventually gives in. I mean, who can decline Taco Bell? We eventually sit and laugh together, my stomach still hurting, but now suddenly bareable.
"The Maze Runner movie is so much better than the book."
"Well, we'll see, mister." I playfully punch his shoulder.
"You haven't seen the movie yet?"
"No, its like a law to read a book before the movie." I pause, "I finished it yesterday." I hear him gasp and jump up.
"I'll be back." He runs for the door, disappearing. I let out a huff, trying to remember why I tolerate him. Because its Caleb. True.
"Where is he running to?" Justin poked his head in.
"To get a movie."
"Does that mean I'm kicked out?" He snorts, coming all the way in. I smile innocently.
"Just for an hour and a half, maybe longer!" I sit up, my stomach disagreeing with my choice of action.

***

"You're not watching the movie." Caleb states as his eyes stay glued on the screen. I pull back a piece of his hair, seeing the curve of his facial features. We had started the movie when he got here, making Justin get out for the night.
"Sorry." I mumble. I lay against his shoulder as he smiles. "I guess my attention was on something better...." I close my eyes, feeling my stomach roll. I hear a muffled laughter come from his chest, but he didn't make much out if it. While we watched the movie, he played with my hand. When it was over, I gave him a quick kiss before getting up to use the ladies room. When I exit, I find Caleb cleaning up our mess. He picks up the chip crumbs on the sofa, folds the blanket, carries the popcorn bowls into the kitchen, washes the ice cream dishes, etc. While he dips his hands into the soapy sink water, I wrap my arms around his waist behind him; laying my head against his back. I hear him laugh, but continue his work. When he finishes, he shuffles over to a towel and dries his hands. He turns around and I switch to hugging his chest.
"You really had a bad day, huh?" He murmurs on the top of my head. I nod, my cheek running along the smooth fabric.
"I have an amazing offer." I whisper, almost daring to take back saying anything.
"Well, tell me about it." He takes my hand and we walk to my bedroom. When we both sit, him specifically in front of me, I take in a breath.
"Johnny," I cough, trying to hide the fact that I call my boss by his first name. "Mr. Flimber, read one of my personal works."
"Isabelle, that's amazing!" He exclaims, but notices my enthusiasm.
"He sent it to the Lead Branch. The C.E.O. of our company loves it and wants to meet me." Caleb's eyes hold confusion.
"Why is this bad?"
"The C.E.O. lives in Minnosota. If she likes the work, me, and if I want to go up in the business, I'll have to move." I huff, seeing his face drop.
"Isabelle-"
"I know. I told him that it isn't even an option.... I have too much here." I play with my nails, still trying to decide if I made the right choice.
"Isabelle-"
"And even though he is letting me think about it over the weekend, I still told him it wasn't an option."
"Isabelle-"
"And I-"
"Isabelle," he interrupts me, placing his gentle hand on top of mine. "I'm happy for you." I shake my head at his words.
"Wait what?" I feel my stomach roll. I had made my mind up, and trust me, throwing away my dreams was not easy....
"I think you should do it."
"But its a different state." I get up from my bed, suddenly feeling hot.
"But its a chance for the world to read your work, for you to achieve your dream! How could you ever pass up an opportunity like this?" He stays sitting while he moves so his back is against the headboard.
"Well, let's see." I prepare to count with my fingers the reasons why I can't move to Minnesota! "My apartment, my brother, my parents," I sit down and I pull my legs in burying my face into my lap, "and you."
"Isabelle," he places his hand on my back, and I lift my head up and turn it to the side to see his face. I was starting to cry, but I didn't care. "We'll all be fine. We all want whats best for you, and that includes helping you achieve in your dream."
"Really?" I sniff, "So, you'll let me get on a plane and fly hours away, and wait to see me in a couple months?"
"Baby, I'd wait years." I unfold my body and scoot closer to lay against him. My head lays on his chest and his arms wrap around me.
"What about Justin?" I murmur.
"He could live here and take your place, or he could bunk in with me." I can start to feel the weight lifting on my shoulders, "See, baby, everything's going to be alright." He kisses the top of my head, and I smile. I lift my head upwards to see his, and I feel my stomach flip. Not from my sickness, but from the butterfly's having a rock concert.
"I love you."
Silence. I hold on tighter to his body, desperate for him to speak.
"I love you too."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for reading!
Please comment your thoughts!
Sorry this one was shorter, but I don't know if I can have as many chapters if I continue to write so much in one chapter....
I will write soon, I promise!

- Emuna_Jasmine