Only Time Will Tell.

Chapter 8

After word had spread of the attack on Rose, Porthos quickly left to escort the kings accompany. This was not a time to gamble with fate especially with the king's safety at risk and above all else, the musketeers up most priority. Aramis and Athos quickly aided to Rose's side while the others hurried to find the physician. Athos' attention was soon brought back to Rose as she gasped in pain as Aramis began to assess the extent of her wounds.

"Someone pushed me off. Atho- Where is Scotty?" Rose groaned in pain while Aramis pressed upon the wound. I quickly found her frail hand, reassuring her.

"He is fine. I made sure he was put into the best care. Do not speak, save your breath. We must lift you up. The doctor will be expecting our arrival back at the castle, but we must hurry. Can you manage just a bit longer? Rose! Keep your eyes open." I ordered, brushing a loose strand of her vibrant hair away from her paling face.

"I- I can't... Ath- It is too much to bear- The pain!" She cried out. Ignoring her pleas I lifted her up and looked towards Aramis who was up on his feet, when I saw the fear that shined behind his eyes.

"Aramis! If we do not act now, She will bleed out entirely!" I snapped. Aramis blinked and rushed over to the horses. He mounted his own and soon handed him Rose.

"Athos! She's gone unconscious! We must hurry or she will die." He shouted. I quickly mounted my horse and wasted no time taking off towards the castle. Upon reaching the gates, I dismounted my horse, rushing over to Aramis who handed me the fragile piece of life so that Aramis could dismount.

"Quickly! Take her inside!" One of the maids stated as we were escorted inside the castle.

"Here! This room will have to do for now, I'll fetch the other servants!" The maid rushed as we entered the study.

Aramis walked over to the large table, shoving the contents that lie upon it, to the marble floor. I swiftly laid Rose's body upon it while Aramis turned to the maid.

"We do not have time for you to find the others! I need bandages, thread, a needle and a bowl of hot water." Aramis ordered to the maid who nodded before hurrying out of the room in search of the items.

"What do you think you are doing?" I snapped at Aramis, who tore off his gloves and began rolling up his bloodied sleeves.

"Saving Her! We do not have time to waste! Help me remove her corset." I moved into step rushing over to aid Aramis. As I unlatched the corset, Aramis and I saw her tattered linen beneath. Aramis sucked in a breath as we both looked over her linen that was now soaked in crimson. I lifted her shirt, while Aramis began to unwrap her bindings around her abdomen. My jaw dropped at the sight of her. Bruises scattered her stomach that were an array of dark colours.

"That bastard should be rotting in hell for this." I muttered as my memories flashed back to the trail and watching as Rose faced the jury and recounted the awful events.

"He is. This is the exact reason why I told her not to wear her corset, she's only caused more bruising." Aramis muttered as he scanned over her bruises. Just then, the maid stormed into the room with the required items and Aramis went to work.

"Shouldn't we wait for the doctor?" I protested but Aramis only shook his head.

"She will die if I do not start. Grab the bandages and water. I need to flush the wound, there is too much blood." I did as I was told and helped soak up the bloodied water.

Soon Porthos and Doctor Lemay entered the room.

"What in god's name happened?" Lemay gasped, horrified by Rose's Ghostly figure.