Chapter Thirty-Six

"Whoever covers an offense seeks love, but he who repeats a matter separates close friends." – Proverbs 17:9

The following week at school was tough for everyone. Even Blaine, as self-controlled and rational as he was, couldn't help but succumb to an emotional breakdown after hearing Cole stoically break the news to their father.

Mr. Anderson took it hard. Cole's punishment included being grounded for a month, being prohibited from surfing until Christmas, and not allowed to have his phone or computer unless it was absolutely necessary for schoolwork.

Even though Cole obeyed his father's instructions to a T, that also meant he distanced himself from everyone. He no longer hung out with the gang or ate with them during lunch, and even when he came home from school, he didn't eat with Blaine or their father at the dining room table. He holed himself up in his bedroom as much as possible.

Some part of Blaine felt like Cole deserved a harsher punishment, but another part of him wished there would be no punishment at all. If anything, Cole's guilty conscience—coupled with Alana's cold shoulder treatment—would be punishment enough.

Blaine wrestled with his battling emotions of sympathy and frustration until Jake suddenly appeared in front of him.

"Hey, man," Jake said quietly. "You haven't touched your lunch."

Blaine smiled, but it vanished just as quickly as it had come. "Yeah...I haven't really been hungry lately."

"None of us have had an appetite," Jake said with a weary smile. "Not since...well..."

"Cole's confession?"

Jake nodded and averted his eyes. That was usually the gang's reaction when one of them mentioned Cole—complete and total awkwardness. Blaine himself felt embarrassed whenever the subject came up at home or school. It was as if he felt responsible somehow for Cole's actions.

"Is Cole still coming?" Jake asked, referring to the funeral that was scheduled for Taylor on Sunday.

Blaine nodded. "My dad is too. I guess he figures no drama will happen as long as he comes with us."

"Good thinking." The ghost of a smile flickered across Jake's face.

Both guys lapsed into silence, and Blaine perked up his ears when he heard a group passing by their table and chatting about the funeral. It seemed like Alana's popularity had been momentarily masked by the news about Taylor.

"Well," Blaine said with a loud sigh, trying to get his mind away from such depressing topics, "what's the matter with you today? I thought you and Maya were on cloud nine since you got back together."

"Oh, we are," Jake said, his smile softening. "Until Cole's confession, that is."

Blaine frowned. It always came back to that. "Aw, man, I'm sorry he put a damper on your relationship."

"Dude, it's not your fault."

Blaine sighed again.

"Hey." Jake leaned forward and placed his elbows on the table. "I know you act like your brother's keeper, but Cole is old enough to make his own decisions and suffer his own consequences. You had nothing to do with this."

Blaine scooted his lunch farther away. "I keep trying to tell myself that, but it's not working. I just can't get over how Cole kept this secret from all of us. Maybe if I had been more observant—"