Chapter Four

"For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness." – 1 Thessalonians 4:7

Cole collapsed on his bed with a loud groan. He let his body flop into a random position, his feet hanging over the edge and his arms resting haphazardly on the pillows behind his head. He glanced down at his backpack, which was still lying on the floor from where he had dropped it. The corners of his mouth turned down in a frown.

Finally, finally, the first week of school was over. Over the summer, Cole had been a mixture of nerves and excitement for the upcoming school year, but his optimism had been shattered the second he stepped into his first class. The biggest factor of attending Ventura High, other than his reputation, had been his social status. He was used to stares, gossip, giggling girls with crushes, and feeding off his over-exaggerated "bad boy" image. But all that had changed in just five short days.

Going into senior year, Cole knew things were going to be different. He was a Christian, after all. Then there was the situation with Taylor. He still shuddered when he remembered how she used to manipulate him. Though Cole hadn't yet told anyone specifically why he had broken all ties with Taylor, it was clear the two had separated for good. That meant separation from Taylor's friends, too.

While Cole had been expecting that, he wasn't prepared for an entirely new set of problems revolving around his changing image. Already, a few of his old "friends" from parties and Taylor's crowd had deserted him. Girls who tried desperately for him to notice them were either confused or offended when he didn't return their flirtations. The Cole Anderson everyone knew—students and teachers alike—was gone.

The most obvious shift lay in Cole's acquaintances. Because he no longer swore, cheated, gossiped, or lied—at least not as much as he used to—many kids from the cool crowd deserted him. In response, Cole felt drawn to some of the people had gone to school with for a good part of his life, but had never actually befriended: people like the nerds, the kids who dressed out of style, the unpopular students, and the outcasts. Cole was genuinely trying to be nice by reaching out to these people, but in the meantime, the ones he thought had been his friends became distant.

The gang was the only exception, of course. They would stand by Cole no matter what. But as Cole reflected on his new social position, he still felt dismayed. He had hoped this year would be as fun and crazy as the rest. Obviously, there would be no more sneaking into R-rated movies, going to wild parties, making out with Taylor, and drinking underage. He knew those things were wrong, and though they still tempted him, he was disgusted at the thought of returning to his old habits. But what could take their place in the meantime? Cole craved adventure and adrenaline. It just seemed unattainable at this point.

For now, there was only one thing—person, actually—that gave Cole the thrilling rush he needed, and that was Alana. Just thinking about her made his heart beat faster and the color in his cheeks grow darker. And to think that she liked him back, too! Cole was sure of it. He just didn't know where to go from there.

Suddenly, a knock came at his door. "Cole?" Blaine called. "Hey, Dad's back, and you'll never guess what he brought!"

"Food?" he mumbled.

"Just come out and see!"

Cole reluctantly rolled off his bed anyway and headed to the living room. To his surprise, he walked in on his dad and brother kneeling on the floor.

"Uh...what's going on?" he asked uncertainly.

Just then, a blob of gray-and-white fur jumped out from behind Blaine and streaked across the carpet, pausing at Cole's feet. The latter suddenly realized he was staring into the wide blue eyes of a kitten. Its ears seemed to be too big for its body, and its unmoving tail was forever pointed straight up in the air.