Chapter Thirteen

"Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching." – Hebrews 10:25

It had been a rough weekend. Cole and Alana had both placed second in their heats by a narrow margin, giving Ventura Islands the win in both categories. Maya's parents weren't giving her the answers she wanted, which only made her more frustrated and suspicious. To make matters worse, she hadn't been able to see Jake until Sunday afternoon when the gang had their Bible study at Scottie's.

During the study, and later at church that evening, Maya realized just how emotionally exhausted she was. Being able to sit back, listen to a thoughtful sermon, and make notes in the small margin of her Bible was something she would have never described as "relaxing" before. But she left church with a happier heart and a lighter spring in her step.

Until Monday morning, that is. Maya woke up late for school, causing herself and Jake to be tardy, and was unable to turn in any of her homework because she had accidentally left it on the desk in her bedroom.

It looked like the beginning of a stressful week, so Maya trudged into work that afternoon with a permanent frown on her face. She reluctantly tied her apron around her waist, took a deep breath, and prepared for four hours of standing on her feet at Scottie's. She had just stepped up behind the counter to take orders when the door suddenly banged open, causing several heads to turn in that direction, Maya's included.

"Surprise!" Jake exclaimed.

Maya's face blossomed into a large smile. She threw out her arms and laughed as Jake barreled into her embrace. They stood grinning stupidly at each other until she asked, "So what's the special occasion?"

"Do I need a special occasion to visit my girlfriend?" he shot back.

"I hope not."

Jake slid around the counter, heading towards the door that read Employees Only. "Actually, I decided to take Scottie up on his offer, so there is a reason I'm here..."

But Scottie himself suddenly burst through the door, rendering Jake's explanation void. "Jake!" he exclaimed. "There you are! Nearly late for the job on the first day, eh?"

Maya's jaw dropped. "You work here now?"

"Starting today," said Scottie at the same time Jake exclaimed, "Yeah I do!"

Maya closed her eyes and breathed a quick prayer, thankful that her lousy day had turned a full 180 degrees in just a few short minutes. "That's awesome," she breathed. "I can't wait to work with you!"

Jake beamed, and Scottie gave him a firm pat on the back. "Put your stuff in the back and get going," he ordered. "We have the dinner rush coming soon."

Suddenly, the bells on the front door jingled again, and Maya quickly smoothed down her apron in preparation of her next customers. She brightened when she saw it was Hannah and Benji.

They stood for a moment in the doorway, taking in the checkered wallpaper and light wood floor, then the surf shop visible through the glass window. When they strode up to the counter, Hannah exclaimed, "Maya! You work here?"

"And Jake," she confirmed. "How are you guys?"

"Good," they chorused.

"It was time for us to take our weekly date, and Hannah thought we should come here," Benji said. "What do you recommend for us to eat?"