Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Listen to advice and accept instruction, that you may gain wisdom in the future." – Proverbs 19:20

Alana's heart was overflowing with happiness when she came home Sunday afternoon. Not only had Nikki spontaneously showed up to church that morning, but the gang had just finished their weekly study of the book of James. Despite suggestions from Blaine and Koa, everyone decided to postpone further meetings until they could agree on the next book to study together.

But the best part of the day was when Alana and Cole snuck in a quick conversation in the parking lot. The rest of the gang lingered inside the restaurant while Cole headed outside to his Volkswagen, swinging the keys around his finger. Alana followed, trying to make her disappearance as inconspicuous as possible.

"Hey," she said once the door to Scottie's had closed behind her.

Cole turned around and smiled. "Hey yourself."

She hastened over to him and said, "We really need to talk."

"Now?" he asked, looking around and seeing a few people milling about.

"Everyone else is still inside. This is important," Alana stressed.

Cole understood immediately. The faint flush that crept up his cheeks let her know that the memory of their Disneyland rockets ride was still fresh in his mind.

"Look," she added, pausing to glance back at the restaurant to make sure no one was watching, "I've thought about our conversation at Disneyland."

"I have too," he said.

"And..." She took a deep breath. "I want to let you know that I do feel like we're ready to take the next step in our relationship."

Before she realized what was going on, Cole had grabbed her hands and whisked her to the opposite side of the Volkswagen. Now they were out of sight of the restaurant, but in full view of the busy street.

"Alana, I haven't stopped thinking about it either," he said, his words running together in his excitement. "This is going to sound so cheesy, but it's been worth waiting for a girl like you."

She laughed. "I know this might seem like bad timing, but..."

He cocked his head, listening.

"Do you think you could wait one more day?"

Cole grinned and pulled her closer. Now his hands were touching her elbows, and their faces were only inches apart. Alana immediately smiled. Despite the apprehension she felt about asking Cole this important question, she wouldn't rather be anywhere else.

"I've waited this long," he said, "so one more day won't matter."

"Good." After taking a deep breath, she said, "Before we officially announce our relationship, I think it's only fair that we tell our families first."

To her surprise, Cole nodded. "Of course. I mean, Blaine already knows, though I'm not sure if my dad has any suspicions. I'll make sure to tell him tonight."

"And I'll have a talk with Dylan," Alana promised.

Cole lightly traced his thumb against her arm, glancing through the windows of the Volkswagen towards the restaurant. "The rest of the gang is coming," he said quietly. Then, turning back to face Alana, he said, "I want to tell you something."