Chapter 20

Chapter 20

“Amy wake up! It’s terrible! They’re back! THEY’RE BACK!”

I bolted upright in my bed and whacked straight into two small figures that were standing over me.

“Oww…” I moaned, half asleep and rubbing my head.

“Amy this is serious!” A squeaky voice pierced my ears and I groaned.

“You need to get UP!!!” An almost identical annoying voice squeaked even louder.

I strained my eyes open and yawned. “I’m up! I’m UP!”

The twins were standing on opposite sides of my bed, both with dramatic expressions and hands flailing in the air.

“Jacob’s parents are back!” The wailed together.

I frowned. “You mean…for a visit?”

“No! They going to take our Jakey-Wakey away!” They started sob.

For a minute I was about to scold them for being so over-emotional.

But then it hit me.

Nate was Jacob’s brother. If Jacob’s parents had come back from the city to take him home, then…Nate would leave too!

“Calm down” I said, also talking to myself. “How do you know for sure?”

“Mum is talking to Jacob’s dad downstairs! I heard them!” Jessica sobbed.

I turned to Jamie. “Did you hear it too?”

She shook her head. “No, but Jess did! So-“

I silenced her. “So Jess might have heard it wrong. Their parents might be taking them on a little holiday or…just visiting like they usually do”

Both the twins nodded weakly, eyes casted to the ground.

I took that as my cue to get up and check out the situation.

“Where are you going?”

They squeaked at the same time.

Where was I going? What the hell did they mean ‘where was I going?’. To go find out if this was all true.

I shook my head and shuffled out the door, still in my pajamas.

Before I could even take two steps my wrists were latched onto.

“Amy! Are you crazy?! Mum said to stay upstairs!” Jess whisper yelled, it sounded strange.

“Well that seems like a pretty crucial piece of information to leave out” I replied flatly.

They both frowned. “You have to be sneaky!”

“Sneaky?”

Jamie’s face darkened with a devilish smile creeping up her face.

“Like a spy”

I sighed, rubbing my eyes. “It’s too early to be a spy. I’m just going to walk on in-“

“Noooo! Amy! You have to, you know, stick to the shadows, stealth style!”

Were they being serious? Did mum really not want us to interrupt?

“Ok ok, I’ll be a stupid spy” There was no way they were going to let me go unless I agreed.

The tiny hands let go of my wrists, but it seems they weren’t done with me yet.

“You need like a code name or something!” Jess’s eyes narrowed with such seriousness.

I coughed. “A code name…are you actually serious?”