She said nothing and slipped into the car.

The driver turned and addressed Ward in a fluent Romanian accent, "Where too, sir?"

"Carol Parc Hotel." He responded.

Lily's eyes widened as she turned to Ward with astonishment. "You speak Romanian?"

His face remained expressionless, "This surprises you? I have been researching here for many years; it shouldn't come as a surprise that I've learned their language."

He was right. She should have guessed that one.

            Romania was everything she had imagined and more. They had come to its capital, Bucharest, which in all its historical beauty, was unlike anything she had ever seen. She was growing antsy in her seat just watching the buildings pass her by. Bucharest had so much history to offer from the RoyalPalace to the Palace of Parliament, to parks and authentic museums. Her excitement was almost too much to contain that she nearly giggled like a child.

"We will be staying at the Carol Parc Hotel. It's the best in Bucharest." Ward said from beside her as she peered with eagerness out the window. "You will have access to all of Bucharest after I retrieve my research."

Lily was quick to note how he emphasized the word and turned away from the window to look at him. "What sort of research are you obtaining while we're here?"

He was silent a moment and this puzzled her. "We'll talk more once we've rested and eaten."

She sensed once that time came, he wouldn't tell her anything.

Carol Parc Hotel was indeed the finest most lavished hotel she had ever seen, and she couldn't have felt more so out of place standing in the lobby in a pair of worn and torn blue jeans and a plain cashmere sweater.

Shifting uncomfortably from one heel to the other, her eyes swept the lobby, marveling at how a hotel could be so beautiful.

Its ceilings stretched high above her, the walls were covered in lovely striped-patterned wallpaper, and the floors were so immaculately polished that she could almost see her reflection peering back at her.

Clearing her throat, she adjusted her grip around the strap of her luggage and followed Ward to the front desk.

As they approached, the woman sitting at the counter beamed a bright smile. "Welcome to Carol Parc Hotel, we are happy to have you, the name please?"

"McDermott." Ward replied as he sifted through his wallet.

He turned towards her, "I have already reserved a room for you." He motioned above her head and a bell boy came forward to take her luggage.

"Follow me, ma'am."

"You speak English?" Lily asked surprisingly.

The boy chuckled, "Yes, ma'am."

She followed the boy and turned half-way to find Ward gone. "Where are you from?" the boy asked curiously as he led her up a winding stairway.

"New York." She answered quickly and than, "Are you from here?"

The boy shook his head as they came to a stop before a closed door. He turned towards her, giving her a view of the nametag clipped to his shirt. "Louis."

"No ma'am. I'm originally from Arkansas."

She was seemingly surprised by this, "Arkansas?"

He nodded, flashing a grin, "I'm an exchange student. I work here part-time to make a little extra money-here you go." He unlocked the door and pushed it open.

As the door swung wide, Lily's mouth dropped open. She would have never dreamed of such a room, let alone sleep in one as magnificent as the one before her.

The suite was made up in gold flavorful hues; beautiful dark mahogany furniture dotted the room in vintage upholstery. The bed climbed for days adorned in a thick coverlet of cream and royal blue. Pillows piled high atop it, making her suddenly aware of how very tired she was. A fireplace took up one side of the wall and floral porcelain decorated the smooth marble mantel

            Lily felt extremely awkward and out of place standing there like a tourist admiring every perfection. "This is my room?"

Louis nodded, "Yes ma'am." He pointed across the room to a door, "That is your bathroom. If you have any need of assistance, please call the front desk." He set aside her luggage and quietly left the room.

Lily peered at the closed door that led into the bathroom. She knew already the bathroom would be as ridiculously beautiful as the room and decided to unpack before exploring that wonder.

**********