∥winter∥

Dylan was sucker punched.

Not literally, but he swore he could feel a blow to the stomach. His eyes stung like that one time his best friend Sean dared him to eat a whole pack of mint gum.

"You're leaving already?" He fought to control the whimpers. "But you said this time you're staying home for a week."

With snow falling softly like lullabies, this was a crisp winter day where bad news shouldn't be allowed.

"Daddy has to fly. It's an emergency," his mom said. "He'll come back very soon."

"How soon is very soon?" He wanted to stomp his foot although he knew it wouldn't get him anywhere. Nine-year-old boys weren't supposed to throw tantrums anymore.

"It's just five days." His dad glanced at his half-opened suitcase. He had just landed yesterday, and Dylan's mind was already filled with all the cool things they could do together. "We'll hang out when I come back!"

A week minus five days meant there was practically no time left for him.

"I'm excited about flying to Vermont, though," his dad said.

His mom nodded. "It's supposed to be very beautiful there this time of year."

They chatted like this emergency was actually a good thing. Dylan tuned them out, feeling too betrayed and angry to listen. He had waited for so long to spend time together, and daddy promised. He promised.

"...and I bet Dill's going to love snowboarding..."

"...he's old enough..."

"What?" He whipped his head around, just in time to see his dad pull out an envelope from his back pocket.

There were plane tickets inside.

He placed them gingerly on the kitchen table. One by one, taking all time in the world. "Look, Dylanator. This one's for me. This one's for mommy." His stopped and grinned. "And this one is yours."

"What?" Dylan said again, and this time the tears came.

"I'm flying as a passenger," his dad said. "With you guys. I promised to spend the vacation with you, didn't I?"

Dylan ran into his dad's arms and made embarrassing sobbing noises. He felt his dad brushing against the back of his head with his large palm. "I really hate your stupid jokes."

"Sorry, buddy. We're going to have the best time together. I love you."

Dylan tightened his thin arms and smiled.

This was a fine, exciting, perfect winter day after all. For some reason, he was too shy to say it out loud, but in his head, he said it many, many times.

"Love you too, daddy."