Chapter 26: Seisi - Too Many Camels

Start from the beginning

No, she is acknowledging the possibility light might exist. I will not hope for more at this moment, Seisi projected.

In the other room, Metjen's father was voicing objection to something his son has just said.

What is going on? Tru comes across as even more stressed than normal. If that's at all possible, Metjen projected.

You will need to contact Imhotep, Seisi responded, stopping himself from gesticulating just in time. The demons sent a message for our friend through your portal, she now wants to go on a quest of her own, to find the people of the mist, and we need to establish how to ensure she can safely do so. I believe she might have considered this path even without demonic intervention.

Next door, Metjen bellowed, and his majesty squealed in fright. Obviously, keeping his various engagements at bay still posed a challenge for Metjen. The professor made soothing noises.

This is stupid. Metjen sounded severely upset.

You will not be able to stop her, so you might rather want to find a way, Seisi responded.

A growl came from the other room.

It will take some time, I don't have granddad on tap, Metjen finally conceded. 

Next door, Metjen's father had taken control of the conversation. 'Capitalism is a fairly recent invention. Human greed is not.'

You had better start soon, Seisi projected.

Metjen's voice rose again. 'Sorry for the outburst, I didn't mean you, Khy. Okay, capitalism is supposed to work like this. You have two camels, you sell one and buy a camel bull. Your herd prospers, you sell and retire on the income.'

'I'm no camel herder.' It appeared, Pharaoh had recovered from his shock.

Seisi could hear Metjen's laugh, just as I will materialised in Seisi's mind.

'You're an i...not very wise,' Metjen's voice told Pharaoh. 'Camels are a metaphor.'

Metjen's father intervened. 'The problem being, people will sell you the bull at outrageous prices, as you're under pressure. Or they're after your camels, assuming you own these fine beasts in the first place. Your Majesty might, but many others don't. There are billions of people on our, eh-planet and not enough camels, so the wages of the camel herders keep dropping.

Metjen added. 'At the same time, the camel owners get fat on the milk-until they drive the camels too much, and they snuff it. Then there's one camel driver more. We've seen a steep increase in camel drivers recently.'

'What happens with all the camel manure? Is this the reason this place stinks so much?' Pharaoh asked.

'Good point,' Metjen said.

'Can I wage war on capitalism?' Pharaoh's voice sounded not very hopeful.

'No,' the professor responded. 'It will fight back, and it's likely to win, no matter what you do.'

'I don't like this world!' Pharaoh screamed.

These political discussions might well be fascinating, but they did not advance matters, so Seisi mind-called Metjen once more. What do you want us to do next.

We need to find the holy object that will seal the portal. Father says if it's here, it might be in the Egyptian Museum. I mean, the house of storage for the ancient artefacts.

Will you recognise it? Seisi projected.

I know exactly what we are looking for. So does father. The question is whether it really is here. We are seeking a walking stick.

I beg your pardon? Seisi carefully placed his mug on the mat.

Not my idea, believe me, Metjen responded. But that's what it is. The circle thought it was a clever idea to spell some everyday items, hoping nobody would spot them for what they are. Father thinks one of the rulers of the later kingdoms might have been buried with this one. His name was Tutankhamun. His treasures are now in the-exhibition. We will go there tonight!

Now he needed medicine. Seisi reached for his cup.

If you liked this story, please leave me a vote or a comment. Or both XD. Wattpad writers write for feedback. We thrive on it! Thank you so much. If you REALLY liked it - maybe you can tell your friends about it?

Sorry for the short chapter, but I will now post three in succession. Next update will follow on Tuesday 17 November. Some of you guessed it already - this novel would not be complete without a visit to the Egyptian Museum in Cairo. As usual, there are some snags, so stay tuned!

====

This chapter is dedicated to elisamillie - thank you for reading and voting on BOTH my novels! And for making the sort of nice compliments which make a harassed scribbler very happy XD

Image is from DeviantArt, copyright Nettier