Dr Amelia Peters

I first saw Jason through the windows of the canteen at university one day. Somehow he just caught my eye. I spent the rest of the day looking out for him, hoping he would appear from nowhere and ask me out. It never happened and since it was a Friday I thought I had no hope of ever seeing him again as he would probably meet some girl at a night club at the weekend and then that would be that.

The girls text me on Saturday morning saying they had managed to get on the VIP list for the opening of some new nightclub. I wasn’t really in the mood to go but I hadn’t been out in a while so I felt like I should. The problem was a girl needs new clothes to go partying and I was working until 6pm. Second best to this was borrowing one of Sophia’s dresses. I had known Sophia for what felt like forever and we would often borrow each other’s clothes. So straight after work I went to hers and sifted through her endless array of colourful dresses. As usual I couldn’t decide which one I should wear.

“Soph?”

“What’s up hun?”

“I don’t know which one to wear”

“Do you ever? You know I sometimes wonder why I actually just let you go and choose as it always comes round to me choosing something.”

“Yeah you’re right. Maybe next time you should just pick one out before I get here.”

“If it makes life easier I will” she said reaching in to the back of the closet and pulling out the most magnificent maxi dress I had ever seen. It was a teal blue colour with a peacock detail across the chest. “How about this?”

I stood there with my mouth open like I was catching flies “Soph this is gorgeous. You have never worn this though.”

“So what? It will probably look better on you anyway.”

“I don’t think I can.”

“Don’t be so silly get in there and put it on!”

Scrunching my hair into a messy bun we rushed out the door and into our taxi. The club was less than 15 mins away but a girl should never have to walk that far in heels.

Getting straight in to the club we headed up to the VIP area. It was very posh and filled with people in suits and little black dresses. Sophia and I looked at each other.

“I’m glad we dressed up for the occasions” she said pulling me through the crowd.

About half way through the night coming back from the ladies I saw a familiar face across the room. Grabbing Sophia’s arm I pulled her to the side against the wall.

“Oh my gosh! Sophia that’s him!”

“Who?”

“The guy from the canteen!”

“Where?” she said shoving me out the way making it so obvious she was looking for someone.

“Don’t make it so obvious!”

“Where Mel, I can’t see anyone.”

“The guy in the black suit”

“Mel, like every guy here is wearing a black suit!”

“Oh right! Ermmm there.” I pointed to him trying not to be too obvious.

“Oh he’s cute Amelia. Have you spoken to him?”

“No when would I have had a chance to do that?”

“Well go on then. Go and say hi”

“I can’t just walk up to some random guy in a club and say hi. He doesn’t even know who I am.”

“Amelia, look around you. What do you think all these women are here to do?!”

I felt a hand on my shoulder. Jumping I turned round. It was Jason. He clearly noticed we were talking about him, we really need to work harder at the not pointing out the obvious.

“Hi” he said in an unbelievably sexy voice.

“Hey” I said back trying not to look too startled.

“Do I know you?”

“Ermm...I’m not sure...”

“You both go to the same university” Sophia jumped in, brushing past me shaking his hand. “Nice to meet you...”

“Jason”

“...Jason. I’m Sophia and this is Amelia.”

“Amelia. Cute name.”

Smiling like a Cheshire cat I said “Thanks.”

“Well I need to ermmm...yeah..” Sophia said looking at her watchless wrist heading off the other direction, turning round showing me her thumbs up and winking.

“Sorry she is kinda...”

“Don’t worry about it.” Jason said.

Reeled in by his sexy voice and dashing looks we spent the night chatting away. Most of the time he was talking as I sat there looking dazed just staring at how handsome he looked. The night ended at 1am as he walked me home. Turns out it’s actually easier to walk to the club then get a taxi due to the one way system. He kissed me goodnight before drifting off down the street into the darkness.

We exchanged phone numbers so met up a couple of times and ended up spending lots of time together before he asked me to be his girlfriend exclusively. Since that day we have been almost inseparable. That decision to go out that night changed my life. I had a guy who I adored and adored me, my food habits changed for the better and my grades got better. Best decision of my life to far.