Dr Amelia Peters - picture>>>>

Surgery is always difficult on women who are pregnant. But when that woman is the person you admired going through university and have worked with for 6 years it’s even more difficult. Like people say, you never expect anyone as caring and loving as them to be struck with something as awful as this. Even though you are not meant to operate on people you know Aoife was sure – she wanted me to perform the surgery as she knew I would do a good job. I was scared stiff but I put on my brave face before we went in and told her, like I do all my patients, I’ll do my best. With Daniel holding one of her hands as she fell asleep I knew she would be scared and worried so I grabbed her other hand just before she went under. She looked round and smiled at me. I could see in her eyes she was confident in me. She always has been.

As I smoothly drew my scalpel across Aoife’s side I took extra care not to hurt or go too close to Harry. A small incision was all I needed to get to her ovary. As I peered into her abdomen the sight was breathtaking. It was nowhere near as bad as we expected. We hadn’t been able to get a good image of the tumour because of Harry so it was always a guess as to how big it was.

“The surgery went well” I said confidently striding into Aoife’s room.

“So...so...so...Harry. Is he going to be ok? Will Aoife be ok?” Daniel stuttered.

“Honey. Calm down. I feel...”

“Aoife? Aoife? Can I get some help in here please?”