Chapter 11

Ren walked slowly through the tunnels, considering the plight of the triplets. Their deaths bothered him in a way none had in years. An emptiness crept through his soul. They were simply too much like himself. Had they remained in the Jedi order, or been left alone altogether by both sides, they could have been happy and might have lived brilliant lives exploring and developing their connection. Destiny though, and the hideously myopic ways of the Sith had doomed them to die by his hands.

Several minutes into his walk, Ren heard Dalvin's voice say: "That was generous, I suppose – what you did for that girl. I admit, I have trouble with... the logic of the Sith religion."

"So do I," said Ren.

"If it's any consolation to you though, I would ultimately have done the same thing were I in your place."

"Really?" Ren said, surprised. "Why?"

"I have brushed very hard against death myself. I know what it is to have nothing in the universe but your own philosophy – your own self – to cling to when you're facing the end. You gave that girl her dignity as she died."

The words were not uplifting, but they did to quell Ren's guilt a touch, and put his action into perspective. "Thank you," he said. He strode on for several minutes in silence, and then said: "Have the madalorians attacked?"

"Oh no. I've been sending them... confusing signals from under the caves. From what they can tell, their men are several kilometers to the north of Neeka and Cathock's position. Their communications officer is rather stupid. I've been in his systems for hours and he still has no idea."

"Good," said Ren. "I don't think we should kill them off."

"I have been considering that matter myself. Are you thinking that, with the correct manipulation, we can use them against the Sith?"

"Yes," said Ren, elated to find that Dalvin was thinking along the same lines as he. "If nothing else, they are an excellent diversion to use."

"Our enemies could be thinking the same thing about them," said Dalvin.

"Against us? I doubt they respect us that much."

"Hah!" Dalvin laughed. "Difficult to ascertain whether their attitude is appropriate, isn't it?"

"I don't suppose it will take all that much longer to find out," said Ren.

"Actually, on that note," Dalvin said, sounding fairly excited, "I think I've located a very large collection of jewels, minerals and other potentially extremely valuable materials that don't belong on this planet for any logical reason."

"Where are they?"

"Incredibly deep under the surface... close enough to the planet's core that I should be picking up far more intense thermoscopic readings than I'm getting. Near as I can tell they are all inside semi-triangular metal shape. Based on its size, shape, and composition, I would guess it to be a fairly large spaceship. I might as well also mention that based on probe scans all over this damned planet, there is no where near the diversity of organic life necessary to produce intelligent beings. In other words, this planet is barely past its algae and protozoa stage. Beings who can think and talk shouldn't evolve for at least another three or four billion standard years."

"So they were brought here," Ren said.

"That would be the most logical assumption."