Chapter 37 [Broken Hearts]

Start from the beginning

We were in love and everything had been so easy together. We were happy, contented, at ease. Can’t we go back to that? I wanted to. I wanted to run to Aiden, let him calm all of my fears about the future and tell me everything will be all right.

But I cannot do all of those things even if I wanted to. It was all for the greater good, I kept telling myself that whenever I felt like breaking down. It was for the better.

“Tell me!” he demanded, breaking the silence.

“I needed to do this Aide.”

“To leave me? You’re telling me that you needed to leave me?”  Aiden’s voice ran hoarse. The strain patience took was starting to show.  

“Yes.” I nodded, trying to approach the matter diplomatically. On the other side of the room Aiden was shaking his head and let his fingers ran through his hair. The silky mass fell back onto its place while a few locks spilled to the front, covering his eyes. He swept it again slowly while contemplating my answer.

“You need to understand that I’m doing this because it’s best for the both of us.” I explained.

“Well then please enlighten me! Because I fail to see how you divorcing me, is a good move.”

“It’s an annulment.” I corrected him. “An annulment will render the marriage invalid-”

“Never to exist, I know what it means.” Aiden retorted with gritted teeth. For the first time the fury in his eyes was replaced by a fleeting glint of heartbreak. “So you’re going to pretend that our marriage never happened then?”

An overwhelming pain started to bloom within my chest so I slid my hands to the small of my back to hide them from view as I dug my fingers into my skin. The pain jolted some drive into me and slowly, I bobbed my head up and down. Aiden plunged me a cold gaze pouring out his frustration and desolation that mirrored my own.

“I don’t believe you.” He spat, now pacing in the small space. “You’re not good enough a liar Fay.”

I pierced my nail deeper into my flesh threatening to break my skin. I heaved dry air into my lungs trying to hold back tears. “I’m not lying.”

“I don’t believe you.”

“I need to do this Aiden. It’s what best for both of us.”

“How!? Tell me how this is the best for us damn it?” this time Aiden stopped his pacing and bellowed. My knees shook as he yelled.

Trembling I leaned on the door for support. “We’re young Aiden, we both need to grow and live separate lives before we can be together again. You need to focus on becoming the person you’re destined to be. I need to become my own person before I can be that person who stands beside you. I need to live my life: I wanted to study and I want to work. I need to do that; I need to be a person worthy standing beside you someday.” Tears sprang from my eyes and cascaded down my cheeks.

Aiden stepped forward and pulled me into his arms. I sobbed in his embrace, melting against his chest and crumbled to his touch. It was more than I can take. My heart was breaking and it hurt so much. His stroked my hair down to my back, rubbing his palm to soothe my weeping. After a while I pulled away.

“Don’t you understand?” I asked in a broken whisper.

“You don’t need to prove that you’re creditable to be with me, in my eyes you’re more than worthy.” He muttered softly, hands locked with mine. “Come back with me to Claymore. I need you by my side.”

“No.” I gently pulled my hands from his hold.

“Sweetheart please, you can do everything that you want: be it study or work in Claymore. Let’s go back home.” Aiden took back my hand and bargained quietly.