Chapter Twelve

George sat on the beach and cursed. He had gone all through town, all down the boardwalk, down the beach, and there was no sign of Isabella.

He felt rotten that she had gotten so upset about the situation. He wished he had acted sooner. Why did he have to be so clumsy around girls he liked? He was planning on asking her out, he just was trying to gain the courage to do so.

And then Ray had to cut in and make a move on her. He couldn't believe his best friend had betrayed him. Ray knew that he liked Isabella and still he moved in on her. And all behind his back!

What was with Ray cutting classes? He never cut classes. He was an A student, who had a perfect attendance record except for fourth grade when he had the chicken pox. Ray was going to throw all that away for a girl?

Of course, George would. He didn't care much about school. Nothing except his parapsychology classes. Not that he had any plans for anything in the future. He just wanted to figure out his powers more.

All his life he was a freak. Kids would laugh at him talking to the animals, the sun, and the rain. And they got scared when he could make it snow in the middle of summer. He quickly learned he needed to keep his gifts a secret.

Then he met Ray in high school and things changed. No longer was he a freak. Ray and he had quickly become friends, and quickly learned each other's secret. They started attending parapsychology classes and seminars that Ray had discovered on the internet.

In their junior year, they had met Emily and Brian at one of the seminars and found in them an understanding that no one else had shared with them.

George had never been as happy as he has been these past several months, living in the house with his new friends and his old friend. And now it seemed like he was losing his old friend.

He watched the ocean waves as he thought about Ray and his betrayal. They became more intense, crashing against the rocks, and becoming ideal yet treacherous waves for the surfers who were running for their boards. George shook his head as he realized that he was doing it.

"Neat trick," a guy with long brown hair said, sitting next to him.

"What's that?" George said to him with a puzzled look wondering how he knew.

"That guy out there on that big wave. Didn't you see him?"

"Oh. Guess I missed it."

The guy looked familiar, but he wasn't sure where he'd seen him before. Dark brown hair pulled back in a ponytail and black eyes.

"I hope you don't mind me joining you. You just looked like you could use some company," he said, dusting off some sand from his black jeans.

"No problem. No, I mean I'm fine."

"You look like you lost your best friend or something. Can I help?"

"What are you, a shrink?"

The guy laughed. "Just trying to help. I'm Max," he said holding out his hand to shake George's.

"George."

"So, George why the gloomy face?

"Long story."

"I have nothing but time," Max said with a smile.

"To put it in a nut shell my best friend stole a girl I liked. A lot. I was planning on asking her out and he beat me to it."

"And he knew you liked her?"

"Yeah."

"Hasn't anyone told him about the code?"