Chapter Seven

"What the hell have you been doing, Max?" Isabella demanded into her cell phone. She heard a deep chuckle from the other end.

"And why are you talking to me in such a tone, child?" the voice asked.

"I'll talk to you any way I damn well please. Have you been hurting these people?" Isabella demanded.

"That's none of your concern."

"It is my concern!"

"Such a naïve child you are."

"Stop calling me a child!"

"Oh, but you are my dear. Forever a child. Just like me, just like Trey..." He said mockingly.

"You made us that way," she interrupted angrily.

"Correction, you chose to be that way."

"Oh, some choice, do you want to die or do you want eternal life?" Isabella rebutted.

He laughed. "Oh, Isabella, I never bore of our conversations!"

"You're changing the subject," she growled at him.

"Oh, I know," he sighed. "Darling, no one has come to harm that didn't deserve to be."

"You tried to kill babies, Max!" she yelled.

"Who? Oh, the twins?! They're still alive aren't they?"

"No thanks to you!" She was shaking. She couldn't believe that Max had been involved with the deaths of Emily, Jake and Raven's parents. And they could have been killed as well.

"Isabella! I had nothing to do with it!" he said, laughing playfully.

"Then why were you just talking about it like you had everything to do with it?"

"You know how I like to play with your mind. I wouldn't harm a hair on the twins' heads or any other of your magical friends. They are your friends now, aren't they?"

"I don't have any friends," she retorted.

"Good. Now, you just concentrate on your little... shopping list, and then come on home."

"Soon," she said and hung up. She wished she had a different type of phone, one that she could slam loudly in his ear.

Max could be mean but would he really sic a demon on Antonio and his friends? Like Antonio, he'd killed before. That she knew. She'd killed before. It was all part of the transition.

There were months, even years of just a haze when they were not like anything human, just vampires on killing sprees searching for more and more blood.

If she had known that, when decision time was presented to her, she didn't think she would have accepted. Too late now. But she was back to being something like a human and she had human feelings just like she used to.

And yes, Max scared her. He was so overpowering. Even before she knew he was a vampire, he intimidated her. And he plain well terrified her. Well, she was sick of it. She was going to run her own life now, whether or not, Max or Trey or anyone else liked it or not.

And what about Antonio? She wasn't sure about him either. He also intimidated her but on some different level. He was more of a softie than Max or Trey could be. Maybe her shopping list wouldn't be as hard as she thought after all.

Isabella looked up at the sky and admired the stars. She was walking in the back gardens of the property where no one would be able to hear her.

She worried about Emily being able to read minds. She definitely didn't want her reading her mind. But Emily had told her how to block her thoughts if she chose to do so. Emily promised to try to not purposely read her thoughts but she said it often happens by accident.