The talk

Elena made Kol hide in one of the stalls while she made her way outside the bathroom to Matt who was standing there waiting for her with a smile. He offered her his arm and she took it with a smile. He led her back into the gym and she let him. She was going to give him this night before she went back to Kol. When she was hanging out with Matt she realized he was a great guy and that he really was looking forward to going to homecoming with her and she couldn't do that to him. She couldn't ruin his night.

"Are you okay?" Matt asked. Elena nodded with a smile.

"Yeah, just hoping that you'll have this dance with me?" Elena said to slow song that was playing around them. Matt nodded and the two made their way to the dance floor. They began dancing and she caught Kol's eyes when he walked into the gym. Elena knew he was controlling himself from punching Matt. Elena shook her head and Kol breathed before stepping off to the side and watched the two continue to dance.

"Elena?"

"Yes Matt?" Elena looked at her date.

"I'm glad that we're here together " Matt said to her with a smile.

"Same" it wasn't a total lie but she knew she had to tell him what was going on with Kol, he was her soul mate, not Matt. Before she could say anything Matt kissed her. Elena was shocked as hell. From the corner of her eye she saw Rebekah and Klaus holding Kol. Elena pulled away.

"What was that?" Elena asked.

"I've been wanting to do that forever " was Matt's reply.

"Can we get some fresh air please?"

"Of course " Matt led her out of the gym. They eventually made it towards the back of the school sitting down on the bleachers.

"Its a nice night" Elena started off saying as she looked up to the sky.

"Yes it is" Matt replied.

"I think we should remain friends Matt" Elena blurted out.

"You still love Kol don't you?" Matt said depressed.

"Yeah, I'm so sorry Matt, you're a great guy but I love Kol more then anything" Elena explained.

"Then go be with him Elena" Matt said genuine.

"I will, but for tonight I will continue to be your date" Elena knew how much it meant to Matt so she would give him this one night where it will be just him and her and no one else.

"Thank you Elena" Matt said as he gave her a hug and she hugged back.