Chapter 6- Proposal

Start from the beginning

I had to tell Ummi that I was ready for marriage but I was feeling shy for the first time so I decided to bypass it by confiding in Farza. It felt like I was about to get in stage for the first time.

Farza had come over to our place for lunch; with my heart in my throat I gently called -
"Di, could you come here for a moment?"
"What is the matter lil brother. Got something for me?
"I'm not lil ok ! Never mind. Could use your help. Can you come to my room?" I mumbled.

"Okay big guy!! On you command!" she mocked me with a bow.
I pulled her to my room and closed the door.

"Di... There is a girl"

Farza's eye went like two cute little bull's eye, so perfect in symmetry.

"No amji! Please don't say it. I feared this day would come. I worried this might happen.
A madamma (a foreign lady) for girlfriend? You can't-"

"No. no no di. It's not like that!"

But she wouldn't let me talk.

"I'm sorry bro, I'm not going to support...in your haram" she was shaking her head

"Will you ever listen, Farzana? I'm talking about Marjaan. Marjaan!"

There. I said it. A rush of calmness engulfed as soon as I said it.

"Who Marjaan?" she looked stupefied and in a second's realization, "Oh Allah! oh Allah! Are you talking about daddy's friend Ahmed uncle's daughter??"

I nodded. I felt hugely relieved that Farza knew her too.
"But you just saw her yesterday...That's...Aha! Love at first sight" she started giggling.

I gotta admit I must have looked like a complete moron, I joined her too. We were re-living that sibling moment which we always had, and now I knew I would be mocked by my sister till this whole business is dealt with. Nonetheless, I was happy.

"She must have did magic on you! One minute you are shouting at me, next minute you calm down like a newly born kitten because her name has been said!"

"Di..Stop it already! I liked her a lot and I want to marry a hijabi and I didn't know any other hijabi girls.
Look, can you please be an adult for a minute and talk to Ummi? Make her talk to Ahmed uncle..? Please?"

I knew my face must have looked like a ripe beetroot by now, but Farza was having too much fun.

"Oh...if hijabi is your only criteria, then surely there must be others..."

"You're never gonna stop, are you? Please, I'm begging you. Will you help me or not?"

"You bet kiddo, I'm just gonna go- laa la la"

She exited my room singing an old Bollywood song and dancing to herself.

"Stupid Farza" I said smiling to myself.

I deliberately omitted telling her about my previous encounters with Marjaan. It was my secret to keep.
I had prayed istikara and I was sure about her.

Few minutes later Ummi came out and hugged me happily

"I'm so happy amju beta. I couldn't be more happier with your choice. Let me call Ferooza right away. Only yesterday your abba was telling me how nice it would be if marjaan came into this house.
Allah has heard our prayers"

I stood there smiling awkwardly like being on an Oscar award podium while my mom dialed
Ferooza aunty's number.

What made my day was my parent's happiness. They approved of my choice and I was glad they even thought the same.
Just then, a thought occurred to me, had I not voiced this myself, Ummi would have considered it otherwise.

I could hear Ummi talking on phone from the living room-
"Will you entrust us with your amanath?

I couldn't hear what Ummi was saying clearly, but Farza was clearly celebrating her opportunity to pick on me.

Ummi later made some more phone calls, and came to me all excited, barely containing herself.

"We will go to my would-be daughter-in-law's house tomorrow evening. I have made all arrangements. I'm so excited, your Abba is on his way home.

My darling Amju, you made the right call, she is such a nice girl, and comes from good family too. I just hope Marjaan says yes"

That stopped me in my tracks. I have never thought of that in my excitement.
Will she say yes or... will she not??

-------------------------------------------

, ". . . then when (Sulaiman (Solomon)) saw it placed before him, [this is from the ayaath given in the beginning of this chapter it is from Quran and in chapter an naml verses 40 ].
Now here is the question for my readers Can u tell me what is the object that is referred to in this ayaath ???
Don't just read my stories read Quran also after all it is the best of books

Thank you! Thank you ! Thanks you ! Thank you
Marjaan is ranked #87 in spiritual. . I am soo happy thanks a lot for supporting me. . Your every vote and every comment mattered. . Thanks a ton