I Can't Give Him Up... - Part 8

[I know there are at least two people who want Belinda to wake up. I'm sorry, but it's not happening yet. If at all...;) Let's hope THAT got your attention. Yeah, I'm not sure if she should wake up or not. So, this chapter's more without Belinda! Sorry, but there is GOING to be a reason, I think. Keep commenting and Happy Reading! ^_^]

Keith was sitting in his room, wondering. About all the different things he could have done right. About what it might be like if he hadn't bodged everything so monumentally. Would he be with Belinda? Would she have met Jack? Would she be conscious? Had he actually done any good in her life? Would she have been happier if Jack had been the Wiccan? What if-

"Keith?" Maggie called, knocking on his door. He scrubbed at his eyes with the back of his hand before granting her entry. She was wearing pyjamas and holding a pillow, fidgeting and looking at her feet. She cleared her throat before continuing. "Could I maybe...would it be okay...can I sleep in here," she blurted out. She took a deep breath, looking at him at last. "It's just...I missed you lots and now Belinda's in the hospital...Mum's got work, so..."

"Sure," Keith said soothingly. "It's fine. Come on, I'll read you a story if you want."

Maggie looked at him sadly, her big brown eyes amazingly deep. He could see the tears trying to form and the effort she was putting in to keep them at bay. He pulled her into a hug, rubbing her back, up and down in what he hoped was a soothing manner.

"It's okay, Maggie, you can cry. She's going to be fine though." She has to be, he added mentally. He hugged her a little tighter before pulling away slightly. "Come on, what story do you want me to read you? Peter Pan? The Wizard of Oz?"

"I don't know," Maggie said slowly. She seemed to be thinking. "I don't really want a story."

"Something bothering you?" Keith asked, curiosity peaking. "Want to talk about it? Because, you know, better out than in and all that..."

"I-" she began, looking torn again. "I don't know if I can talk to you about it."

"Girl stuff?" Keith said, his nose wrinkling. "Because, you know, mum could probably help you with that."

"Not really girl stuff. More, you know, Belinda stuff."

"Oh." A silence stretched between them as he tried to think of something to say. His curiosity was worse now. Was it something about Belinda? Or was it something Belinda did? Either way, he was dying to know. He just didn't want Maggie to know just how desperately he wanted to know.

She seemed to take pity on him though. "It's just...she was really looking forward to having you home. And now she's not even awake to see that you are. And then, there's the nightmares...I hope she not having them now. I mean, she's been doing better since she started hanging out with Jack but...I know she hasn't been the same. I think they got better after she knew you were sort of okay though..."

Keith sat in shocked silence. Belinda had missed him. Had had nightmares for him. Sure, she was Jack's, but who knew how long that would last? He hugged Maggie a little closer, humming tunelessly. He was a little ashamed that he was so elated, seeing as Belinda was still a little unconscious, but the feeling just spread through him like a fire, warming him almost as much as she did.

Jack was in his room, fretting. They had only been gone a few days, from what he could tell, which was good because it meant that they hadn't missed any school. But it also meant that Belinda would be missing it soon. That meant that she would fall behind and, considering that they were in their final year of GCSE's, it could mean she didn't get into college. And that was his fault. He shouldn't have been going ahead of them, should have been with her. Maybe if he had, he could have caught her before she went in. Maybe...

He tried to snap himself out of it, looking on the bright side: Keith was back. And now that Jack knew his Big Secret, maybe Keith would be a little more honest. And when Belinda woke up, she could join in with everything. Even if he did have Keith back, it would be weird if Belinda just faded into the background. It just wouldn't be...right without her.

He thought back to the happiness that had radiated out of her when they had finally found Keith, the way she had lit up so entirely. She had been so alive then that it had been impossible not to notice how she felt. He had to admit that she had done such a good job, not talking about Keith a lot, that he had thought that it was just guilt that made her look for him. Well, he thought, her cover's blown!

And then he thought back to the way Keith had so blatantly ignored her, brushed her aside. He didn't care if Keith was his best friend, he was going to give him a piece of his mind when he next got the opportunity. But...maybe he should wait until Belinda was recovering. If Jack felt guilty for what had happened, how must Keith have felt, standing right next to her?