Au Revior: Chapter 7

Chapter 7

We stopped the car as we went to eat in a still open carenderia by the road. It's actually good that we get to eat something warm and isn't worth too much money.

"It has been awhile since I get to eat food such as this." Karen brought up as she ate her arroz caldo and isaw.

"I bet you eat a lot of healthy stuff nowadays. Since, you know you're in the limelight and all." I said as I try to bring up her life in the showbusiness.

"Eris, I know you are a radio personality now and I wouldn't want any of our conversations tonight going out to the public. Promise me, everything that you'll hear will be confidential. Please?" She said as she finished her food.

"Karen, I don't do stuff like that." I said offended with her words.

"But I can never be too careful." She said with bitterness.

"Then don't tell me anything, don't talk to me and just go home." I spat back.

Her eyes widen with shock.

"I have changed a lot, right? I am not the good old Eris you know."

Then we faded back into the silence and the sound of the rain.

"I need a friend Eris, and I can't find one in the noisy world of the show business. Everyone wants to drag me down. I need you."

I shook my head as I heard her cry for help.

"Tell me, have you thought of that when you drove me away because you don't want your career to slip away from you?"

"I didn't drove you away. It was for the both of us."

I laughed at her words. Seriously?

"Do you even hear yourself? Have you forgot about that night Karen? The night you chose Oliver over me."

Her eyes met the ground.

"What do you think of me Karen? Someone you could use after over and over again? I will not do the same thing I did for you back when Rico broke up with you that fateful prom night. I've learned my lessons."

"You should go, I'll drive you back home." I said as I stood from my seat and paid for our meals.

"Is that Karen Haynes with you?" The middle aged woman who I think owns the store asked me.

I looked at Karen. Should I affirm this woman's suspicion?

"I'm sorry but you must be mistaken. She's my girl and maybe she just looks like that artist" I said as I fake a smile.

The woman just shook her head absent mindedly and then off I went almost dragging Karen to the car.

"You don't have to hurt me." She said as I sat in the driver's seat.

"The woman recognized you." I pointed out.

"Oh. I see," she said as she stared at her hands.

"I'm sorry for everything I have caused, I mean it. And I know I can't just ask you to forgive me, but please I can't go home just yet."

Then she looked back to me.

Her eyes.

How could I ever say no?

I guess I am forever a fool for her.

"But please, promise me that everything will be a secret."

Her lips.

Here we go again.

"Sure."

What a fool.