Au Revior: Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"Eris. You can do this, were here for you." Karen told me as she hugged me tightly in her arms.

It has been 3 weeks since my mom died, and now here I am still mourning over her loss.

Mom and dad were divorced ever since I was a child, and it was mom who took me under her custody.

She was there for me through everything.

She was the one who wanted me by her side.

But now dad has no other choice, he has to take me since mom is already gone.

I hate him. For everything he did that had hurt my mom, I knew why they got separated even as a child I understood when dad left the door.

I understood that he'll never come back.

From then on I learned how to live without him by my side. Life wasn't easy without him, but we managed.

We had moved on from him.

But life threw me back to him, ever since mom was gone I lived under his roof. He wasn't warm or welcoming as I had expected, he was cold and retreating.

I tried to reconnect with him, but he just dismisses me every single time.

A part of me thinks that maybe it's just because of our loss, but then again why will he mourn when he left mom and I in the first place?

"I know you and your family are there, and I am more than greatful Karen. Thank you for sticking with me even though I am such a mess." I said as I hastily wiped away my tears.

I smiled as I tried to reassure her that I will be fine. But sadness were still in her eyes.

Then I was shocked when she neared her face to mine. I felt my face go warm, my eyes were drowned in hers. My heart was beating triple time as I felt it would burst anytime soon.

She cupped my face and wiped the remaining tears, and a small smile came to her lips.

Then she closed her eyes and leaned her forehead to meet mine without our nose and lips touching.

"I know we just got to know each other when your mom died, I know that you might find me quite annoying. But I want you to know I'll be here, I'll be your best friend."

I don't know why I felt comfortable, maybe it's this thing that happens when you finally find that person who can make you forget all the troubles and make you feel safe.

"I'm happy to hear it Karen. Thank you."

I said as I closed my eyes.

Best friend.

Best friends.

I've never had one in my life, but this chapter in my life is something depressing and having her by my side will make things easier.

Thank God I found someone who will stand by my side.

She stood and smiled at me, "Let's go out."

She offered me her hand and I quickly took it as I stood. Finally. Someone who'll understand. And I hope this will last.

I smiled as we walked our way to wherever, I smiled. At last, it feels so good to finally feel happiness.

"Where'd you wanna go?", she asked as she took her hand away from mine and pushed her eye glasses closer to her eyes.

"I don't really know." I said with a shrug.

I looked at her as she contemplated our destination.

"What about the carnival?" She asked as I noticed a spark in her eyes.

"I guess it might be fun." I said with a shrug.

"Let's go!" She shouted as she grabbed my hand and we ran to its direction. I laughed as I felt the air on my cheeks and the giddy feeling in my bones.

We spent the day laughing, screaming, eating, walking, and enjoying each others company. I hope this day could last forever, and I hope this happiness I have won't be taken away from me.