Chapter 12

IChapter 12I  

My life was back on track. Since that day, Brandon was out of sight and out of mind.

Who was I kidding?

Even though he was out of my sight, he was never really out of my mind. Little things reminded me of him, even though the time we spent together was really short. When I sipped my coffee, I was reminded of the way he would take in the aroma of the coffee before carefully taking a sip. A coffee always tasted better after one took in its aroma, he used to say.

I was frustrated now. Not because he hasn't shown his face for about a week but because I was counting the days that go by subconsciously. I really don't know what has gotten into me nowadays. And thinking of Brandon always led to that night, which I wish I could erase from my existence.

My way of dealing with bad memories has always been to ignore it. I would rather not talk about it until absolutely necessary. Thinking about Brandon, made me question my sanity.

And that frightened me.

*****************************************************

When I got back home, an empty house awaited me. This was very strange since Grandma rarely left home nowadays or she would inform me beforehand if she was to be out. I checked my phone to see if I missed a message or call from her but there was nothing.

I made my way to the kitchen thinking what to do when a yellow post-it caught my attention.

"Going out. Emergency." These were the only words in my Grandma's handwriting.

Okay now this was weird. What kind of emergency did she have now? I was worried because at her age I if something happened to her she wouldn't really be able to fend for herself. Not that I would ever mention this to her. She would make me run to the hills.

I was in a serious dilemma, when I heard a deep howl emanating from deep within the forest.

It chilled me to the bone.

The very next second another howl sounded which had me scrambling to my feet.

Why did it sound like a battle was about to take place?

My thoughts steered towards that night, when Brandon had morphed into, into ... a wolf. A shudder went through me as the unwelcome images of Brandon facing that ferocious red wolf burst into my head, like a dam letting the suppressed water flow. What if something happened to him?

I raced unconsciously towards the door and opened it only to with the frail body of my Grandma.

"Grandma!" I shouted in my surprise. "I think..."

My words were interrupted by a stream of collective howls now, each of which set an urgency within me.

I wrenched my hand free from Grandma's grasp as and muttered an apology as I took off at full speed to the direction of the howls.

The forest blurred past me as I followed the sounds. It seemed an eternity as I finally closed in to the source of the sounds.

My eyes widened as I took in the sight before me.

I was hidden from view and standing behind a pack of wolves who were facing another pack, this one of red wolves. It seemed as the pack in front of me was headed by my saviour wolf.

Brandon.

I was startled when the red wolf started growling only to be interrupted by the vicious growl of my saviour wolf. This went on for about five minutes till the apparent leader of the red wolves gang took a step forward.

And then all hell broke loose.

Both the sides charged at each other and the field turned into a sea of animals growling and biting one another. However my eyes were trained on the pair of black and red wolf which were circling each other. But there was something strange.

My wolf was not able to attack the other one. It seemed as if something was holding it back. Or maybe something was not letting it attack.

It seemed as if the red wolf was anticipating this as it howled, as if indicating the battle was over. Then it charged forward, to my alarm.

My wolf dodged and flitted to the side however the red wolf was now on a roll. It came continuously and all my wolf could do was keep dodging.

My wolf stepped to the side as the red one attacked again but this time it was not so lucky as the red one got hold of his neck.

A burst of heat emanated from my heart and my vision seemed to grow slightly red at the corners. I focused on my wolf which was trying to shake of the red one as I made my way to them, heat slowly travelling to my hands as I felt hotter and hotter.

A small bit of the observant side left in my mind wondered at the sudden silence however even this thought faded as the red wolf threw my wolf on the forest floor, crashing two trees in the process, preparing for the final attack.

My breaths turned into gasps as I whispered "No."

This stopped the red wolf as it looked at me for the first time. The confusion in its eyes cleared as if it recognised me. Then he snorted and looked at my wolf's heaving figure.

Then it charged at my wolf.

" I said NO!" I screamed as I felt fire in my hands. My hands rose of its own accord and a pulsating light flashed, the silvery beam throwing the red wolf of its trajectory.

My knees buckled as I looked at the fallen red wolf and then at my hands. A deep heave made my eyes look up in the strange yet familiar eyes of my wolf.

I looked at my hands again and whispered to myself, "What ... did...am I?"

My eyes blurred as I surrendered to blissful oblivion.

Author's Note - Sorry for the long absence. I really don't have any excuses. I noticed that two drafts I had saved had also been published. I had no idea that saving published it as well since I remembered that we could save without the chapters being published. Any way sorry for the false alarm and sorry to for typos. I wrote this without any check, so beware.

Also as always I will dedicate a chapter to my readers. I know lot of you have voted and commented over the last two months and I am very grateful for that.