Chapter 14

This is the longest chapter I have written by far! Demarcations for pov. Unedited.

I Chapter 14 I

The lake was calm and its tranquility seeped into as I stepped walked towards the deck and sat on the edge dangling my feet into the cool water.

I wasn't very far away from my town. Whenever I needed to take a break from my town I used to come here. This city has a small zoo and so I occasionally volunteered here. Since the staff here is just adequate my help was welcomed whenever I could give it.

I hadn't run from home. It may seem like it but I was not. I simply did not inform them of my location since a certain someone would disrupt my peace of mind. It seemed to have deserted me since the day I set my sight on Brandon.

Sitting here, with the lake mirroring the sky and the faint but constant twitter of the birds, it was easy to feel that everything that occurred in the meadow that night, in fact everything that happened since the time I had the pleasure of knowing Brandon, was a dream. Maybe even a nightmare.

However deluded I wished I could be I wasn't.

No matter how hard the reality was, no matter how unreal it was, I knew I could neither escape it nor ignore. For some reason no matter how much I try to distance myself from Brandon either emotionally or physically, I fail. Miserably so.

It may not seem like it but I feel the reins of my control on the verge of snapping whenever he is around. And Brandon has this weird, unhealthy obsession for me, which I can feel, even though he barely said a hundred words to me.

So I know deep down that neither of us are going anywhere. It would be next to impossible.

But I also realized the fact that to accept the fact Brandon would mean to accept the craziness which he is surrounded by. Right now, I am not eager for that.

Also, I first need to know about my own identity.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"That's it. I am going to hunt her."

Brandon snapped, the animalistic part getting the better of him.

"Don't. You are just going to ruin it.. She will be here in a day or two."

Maurein looked barely interested as she sorted her herbs and then made small piles.

"You look awfully at ease for someone who is worried about her granddaughter. Is she even your granddaughter?"Brandon asked suddenly realizing he knew nothing about her.

"Looks can be deceiving," Maurein answered the first statement.

"I just realized, I never asked...I was so wrapped up in trying to persuade her...who is she to you?"

"I would rather tell this story only one time."

"Huh?"

"You think I am going to tell it to you first and then Rebecca? You really feel I should waste that much energy?"

"I don't think your energy will deplete by repeating same stuff twice."

"Oh but it will."

"Quit stalling."

"Quit eating my brains."

Brandon looked at Maurein in disbelief. Both granddaughter and grandmother had a way with words which irritated Brandon to death especially when he wanted to know something and they wouldn't tell.