CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR

After what felt like forever, the door opened. I didn't realise when and how I rose to my feet and rushed for the entrance. The pieces of glass were still inside me and perhaps had gotten deeper but I didn't care. I was numb. All I knew was that Amarion was waiting for me. A few people followed me in order to stop me but I had already taken off. The lights were dim and suddenly they went bright. My eyes hurt for a moment but the ache dissolved as I saw the sight I longed. He lay under the vivid light, his face pale and his body calm. Was he even breathing? The frost began settling on my heart. I bit on my lower lip and hurried to him. Both of his hands rested on his belly. There were people inside the room but no one stopped me or maybe I didn't let them. I gradually rested myself on the floor and took his hand in mine. He was cold and motionless.

I whispered his name and a hiccup followed. I tightened my grip on his hand and pressed it to my cheek. I said his name again and stared at him, waiting for a response. But he remained still. His dry lips were slightly parted and his messy hair covered his forehead. He looked like an angel, resting. And witnessing him in that state was gradually taking my entity away. He couldn't be gone, he just couldn't.

"Please wake up" I cried and closed my eyes which were brimmed with tears. Perhaps, he had departed but my heart denied. Love is immortal but lovers? The pang in my chest rose rapidly and the few splinters I had managed to keep attached, began disintegrating. My mind went blank while the little flame of hope was about to extinguish.

Suddenly, I felt his fingers moving. I opened my eyes and saw movement in his eyelids. The little flame of hope grew wild. I reached for his other hand and got up on my feet.

"Amarion? Can you hear me?" I asked while I looked for any movements he made.

"Amarion?" I repeated.

Slowly, his eyelids opened and I felt as if I was looking right at heaven. The wild flame of hope blazed inside me. His hazel eyes met mine and his lips turned into a smile. I beamed from ear to ear while the tears rolled down my face.

"Love" he whispered and my ears heard the most awaited voice. I moved my hands to his cheeks and he moved his to mine. "Eternal" I hushed and gazed at my world. He tucked the astray strand of my hair behind my ear and said "there".

"Crazy" I responded and giggled.

"For you" he continued and smirked.

"I thought I'd lose you" I admitted and bit on my lower lip.

"I'm here" he assured and wiped my tears.

"You're okay?" I asked and moved my fingers through his hair.

"Not when you weren't here" he replied and furrowed his eyebrows.

"They didn't let me in" I complained and pressed my forehead to his.

"It's okay" he pecked my lips and said.

He then lifted my chin and kissed on my forehead. I joyfully threw my arms around him and muttered "I love you". He kissed on my cheek and replied "I love you too".

All of the fragments of mine which had shredded off, were returning and attaching themselves. The bleakness was invaded by happiness. The fear was dead. I was in the arms of my paradise. The frost on my heart thawed. My soul was warm again. Ultimately, life returned to me, to us. We were together and our hearts were beating right next to each other. Our breathing synchronised and our spirits entwined. We had made it.

"We made it" I murmured. "Indeed we have" he responed and placed a kiss on my neck.

We were so lost in our moment of joy that we had forgotten that there were more people in the room. We realised it when one of the nurses clapped and the others imitated her. One of them cheered "love birds". My face reddened and I buried my face deeper in the crook of Amarion's neck.

"I won't be able to leave you if you continue doing this" he whispered in my ear. His words increased the flush on my countenance. I moved away from the embrace but meanwhile gasped as a sting occurred in my side.

"What happened?" Amarion exclaimed.

"Nothing just.." I responded and grabbed my side to conceal the bleeding but to my dismay, I had left an ensanguined trail behind me.

"Amour? Are you crazy?" He uttered in surprise.

"Only for you" I repeated his words and smiled cheekily.

"Oh my God!" He sighed and pecked on my lips.
"I love you too" he continued and touched my wound. The blood stained the tip of his fingers. He then traced a heart and an 'A' inside it on his chest.

"Go get yourself bandaged" .

I just smiled at him and stared at the heart he made. The way the crimson fluid set on his creamy skin was alluring. It felt like a seal of my name has been embossed on him. He was mine, just mine.

"Okay, before these two cuckoo heads get any more insane let's get going" a nurse exclaimed. Everyone laughed and carried on with their work. A nurse helped me out of the room and the others prepared to shift Amarion into another ward. I gazed at Amarion as the nurse guided me out of the room. Every step I took away from him made me more eager to stay with him. The spark had returned to his eyes and the smile on his face was brighter than ever. Both of us had a fervent wish of being together at the moment. His eyes were on me as I walked out of the room and mine rested on him and then on the heart he made on his chest. I smiled at him and he responded with a flying kiss.

"He is crazy, I'm crazy. We are crazy" I thought to myself and stepped out of the room, leaving my heart behind.

My paradise was not the one which had fantasies and luxuries or surreal orchards but a human whose embrace was home, whose soul was the invigoration for me, whose eyes were the reflection of the sweetest love and whose heart was the most beautiful of the gardens.