Chapter 3: Over a Map

Start from the beginning

I continued to look over the marks again and again, double checking my work until I noticed no one was moving. Cautiously I moved my gaze up to look at them.

Each of the four others were staring at me as if they were wondering where I had received my information. The older man's look was hardest of all, however I quickly realized that he wasn't looking at me.

Zanek was smiling, and once I met his gaze he winked. Ian moved to stand by me to get a better vantage point. He swept over my marks for a moment, then he straightened and patted my back. "Nice work, little sister."

I bit my lip so I would't smile.

"She's right," the older elf said. "There is no longer a camp there. I can't be sure about the posts, but there definitely isn't a concentration of people large enough to be near a camp size."

I nearly clapped my hands together in triumph. I knew there had to be something about the layout of the camps they shouldn't have been able to get through.

"So what's our next step?" Jonathan asked.

"First we tell the king, then we get our own men together. We have a trip to plan," Zanek informed them, smiling widely at me as he did so. I got a warm feeling inside as I shared his gaze. He looked like he was proud.

***

"What kind of group do you think we will need?" I was later asking Zanek.

He pursed his lips in thought, tracing figures on my hand under the table, where we sat head as many other Vari members were busy discussing. "Something small... manageable. Food will more than likely be an issue we need to be aware of. We will be able to go through many cities with this route if we need supplies, but I'm not sure the knowledge of elves around would be best in those more concentrated areas. I have to see first the situation."

"What if just the two of us went?" I asked.

He turned to me with a considering look.

"Ana... I'm not sure even you should go."

"What? No. I know the camps better than anyone. Especially Eritt's."

"You've hardly begun your training here. We can handle it."

The sudden use of 'we' not including me pulled my scowl firm. "I'm going. Don't even try to argue it."

He turned his look away, clearly biting at his cheek. I tried to move him back to my question. "The two of us could move first."

"Think about it," I offered. "We would be able to easily move through, and honestly, together, I don't think there will be a big problem.... The only thing is that if we will need backup, who would be able to go?"

"Trust me, volunteers won't be a problem," he murmured to me, turning back to keep the conversation between us. "I have many in mind already. Would you not be worried if it were just the two of us?"

"No, I don't think so."

"Erin might want to go," he said.

I sighed. "That's up to him."

Zanek nodded in agreement, looking down in his lap as he continued to draw figures on my hand.

"Leader," someone called him.

We both looked up to see who'd called him, and I almost dropped my gaze again seeing that the man was actually looking at me.

"We think that it would be best for you to call upon the packs that roam inside the body of Kail. It would help you greatly, and they would know that you remember them."

I blinked up at the tall man, having completely forgotten about the wolves that lived in the forest that bordered west. "And who are you?" I asked him.

His brown eyes glanced about the other men, then he placed a fist over his heart and bowed his head. "My name is Dagan. I lead with your brother, Erin."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I had forgotten you." I gave him a small smile, remembering that he had been standing with Erin earlier. "Where is he?"

"Speaking with the messenger Kerragin, I believe."

I nodded and looked over at Zanek.

"We've decided that it would be easiest for Ana and myself to move alone," he announced.

Immediately people began to argue. He quickly looked over them and, after a last unseen stroke of my hand, rose both of his arms to rest on the table.

When he lifted his hand the voices stopped. "It is quick and easy this way. Once I see what the real problems are currently I will call for others. I need to know now which of you would come to our aid."

The word 'I' resounded around the room.

"Let me remind you that winter is coming, and if I call you I will need a quick response. Remember, also, that this mission is not for me, but for the humans and the war we are all involved in. Yes, the Elves are in this war as well. We haven't seen it because of who sits in between us. So, are there any who wish to help them?"

That time the count was fewer. After a moment of Zanek looking over them, their attitudes changed and again all of them agreed.

"Good. We leave in three days. Here is the route we have chosen."