Chapter Three

My breath hitched as my mind tried to process what I just heard.

Blind? Since when is any Alpha blind?

"Dude, you're joking right?" I asked cautiously and the serious growl Roman emmited told me he was far from joking.

"How did it happen?" I asked and He sat back down behind his desk.

"None of your concern." He replied and pulled out some stacks of manilla papered files and basically ignored my existence. I blew air out of my mouth in slight frustration and sat in a chair near his desk. Staring at him intently, I studied his facial features. The way he scrunched up his nose randomly at certain moments, his strong bone structure and a scar below his right eye which went halfway down his face. It would seem like it would look ugly, but it actually wasn't; it made him look like a bad ass with a dash of mysterious and absolute meanness.

"Stop staring at me."

I opened my eyes wide in shock as he looked directly my way, straight at me. If I didn't know he was blind, I could swear he was literally looking right at me.

"How did you know I was staring at you?" I asked.

Roman sighed and moved his hair away from his eyes. "I may not be able to see but I can surely sense when someone is drilling visual holes in my head." He smirked and I felt like melting. Damn that's a sexy ass smirk.

I pouted and folded my arms. "I wasn't staring.." I mumbled and rolled my eyes. Roman chuckled and began to trace his fingers along a paper on the desk infront of him. "If you say so Eden."

The way my name sounded coming out of his mouth, sounded like perfection. He had an accent, a deep one, almost Italian or something. I wanted to ask but I wondered if he'd get mad at me for asking. Roman seems like a very serious type of guy, especially when it comes to his life. But what harm could be done from just asking his origin? Maybe I should just pick something else to ask about and leave it for another time.

"Why are you feeling up on the paper like that?" 

"Braille." He said and paid me no mind.

"And that is...?" I asked. Obviously, I knew what it was but I was just trying to build at least some kind of conversation with him. Roman looked up, his eyes focused more on the wall behind me as he slowly raised a brow.

"Come here."

Trying to hide my excitement that my mate was willing to interact with me, I slowly got up and paced myself as I walked to his side behind the desk. 

"You see these dots?" He pointed to numerous tiny dots spread out across the paper. I nodded but then remembered he couldn't see me so I said, "Yes."

"Each pattern these dots have, is a letter or number. I learned to read these when I was 8 because my fathe-" He stopped himself and slammed the folder shut, breathing heavily.

Cautiously, I took a step back  to distance myself from him incase he lashed out in any way. The floorboard creaked under me when I took a step and Roman's head snapped in my direction.

"I won't hurt you" He said, "I would never do that to you Eden."

My nerves slightly calmed and I smiled a little at his words. At least it's good to know he cares, even though he has the temper of a fire cracker.

The door opened and I jumped and dashed behind Roman's big office chair. He obviously didn't seem worried since he didn't move a muscle. Peeking over the chair, I saw Cole standing there with an amused look.

"Oh shut up." I said as his facial expression alone spoke to me.

Cole shook his head a little and addressed his attention now to Roman, all amusement leaving his face immediately. "I've prepared her room Alpha and I've had clothes bought for her by a member who is about her size."

Roman nodded. "Thank you Cole. Eden, Cole will show you to your room."

"I'm not staying here-" I stated nonchalant and I saw Roman visibly stiffen before I could even finish, "without my brother."

"Brother?" Cole asked and I nodded. 

"I made him hide when the guards caught me. I was afraid they'd kill him. He's 11 and I won't stay here if he can't come stay too."

From the corner of my eye, I studied Roman's face to see if I could determine how he would reply. He can't say No could he? He said he wouldn't hurt me so why would he? Besides, it's just a little boy, not an army of rogues I'm asking him to shelter. 

Roman was yet to answer and I was getting anxious. Feeling a sudden burst of courage, I grabbed his hand and held it tightly between my two smaller ones. "Roman please. I can't leave him out there by himself. He needs me and I need him. He's just a little boy."

Shocked, Roman's eyes opened wide for a moment then went back to normal. "You're waiting on me to answer? Go get your brother but take Cole with you."

I squealed and kissed his hand then released it. "Thank you!"

Roman nodded and went back to his manilla folders as I grabbed Cole's hand and dragged him out of the room.

I'm coming Evan, I'm coming.