fourteen

(a/n: happy birthdaaaaay to meee)

D A N ' S   P O V

The first thing I did when I woke up was search my room for Phil, which didn't work. He was gone. I tilted my head, stretching.

"Phil?" I called out groggily. I thought he'd be back by now. I'll call him.

I picked up my new phone and called him, the device ringing then going to voicemail.

"Hey, Phil. I know you said you had to go, but I was just wondering where you went. Nyla isn't here either. Anyway, I'm leaving the hospital today, so maybe we could hang out. Don't forget we have support group tonight! I, uh, love you." Then I hung up.

I set my phone down and Nyla walked in.

"Hey," she mumbled. I gave a small wave. "Where's Phil?"

"He left last night. He didn't say where," I explained. Nyla furrowed her eyebrows, climbing into the bed next to me and laying down. "But he told me he loved me and kissed me, so I think it's fine."

Nyla nodded slowly. "I met someone last night. He happened to be in this hospital. He knows Phil somehow."

"Who is he? And how do you know?" I responded.

"He came to support group that one time. Wirrow. He seems really sweet and he's attractive. He gave me his number."

I smiled at her. "Well are you gonna text him?"

Nyla shrugged. "Enough about me, how are you feeling?"

"I'm okay. I have to be back on my inhaler for a few weeks now so I can get my lungs functioning properly again. Also, I have to miss my swimming competition since they don't want me to move too much. I'm hungry though."

She grinned and hopped off my bed, digging her bag and pulling out a to-go bag from McDonald's. "I had a feeling you would say that."

I gasped and thanked her once she tossed me a happy meal, and she sat down next to me.

"Where's your food?" I asked her. She sighed.

"I'm not really hungry," she whispered, looking down at her feet.

"Nyla, please don't lie to me. Look, can you at least eat some of my fries? Have you had lots of water today? Did you have any meat? Dairy?"

"I'll eat some. Yes I drank water, five cups. I had a small steak last night with my parents, and I had yogurt this morning for breakfast."

I nodded and handed her some fries, watching her as she ate.

Hours had passed now and the two of us were finished eating, and were now watching a movie on the TV. I looked over at Nyla. "He did the thing I hate so much."

She furrowed her eyebrows, confused. "What do you mean?"

"He made my heart beat faster when all I really wanted was for it to stop beating."

And then I burst out crying.

P H I L 'S   P O V

Support group.

It was in five minutes.

Should I go? Or not? I can't just leave Dan and Nyla without an explanation- but then again it's not like I can tell them the truth.

I'd be late by now anyway. . .

But I don't want to leave them. I don't want to leave my town, just because I'm afraid. I'm selfish, yeah, but I can't just leave the only people who actually care about me. And Dan. . . I kissed him. He fell for me, and that means I have to catch him.

What will happen if I do leave? I'll have to protect Dan somehow, but maybe if I left Wirrow and Bryony would leave him alone?

Oh, who am I kidding. They don't give two shits about me. I can't leave. But I should.

But I can't.

I groaned, my head beginning to hurt from overthinking. I tugged at my sleeves until they ripped, and that's when I saw it. The black bracelet Dan had given me.

"Get it? Black and white go together, just like you and I."

I smiled to myself, and I felt a wet substance stream down my cheek. I looked up at myself in the mirror and saw that I was crying.

Dan was changing me. I hadn't cried for as long as I could remember before I met him.

I stood up, walking down the stairs. "I'm going now," I called to my family. They nodded and I headed out, jumping in my car and driving to that building that I hated so much, but contained the people that I loved so much.

They had already started but I ignored it, walking in the doors. Everybody went silent to look up at me. I scanned the room for Dan, and our eyes locked.

His eyes went wide and his mouth slightly open, his grey jumper hugging his body and ripped jeans tight. Nyla was sitting next to him, looking angry with me, but also happy for Dan.

His eyes watered and before I knew it we were in the bathroom and he was hugging me tightly. I held him back, petting his hair, his short body fitting against mine perfectly.

"I thought you left me," he sniffled. I shook my head, and we pulled away.

"I couldn't if I tried," I replied, pushing a strand of hair from his face.

He smiled sadly at me, stood up on his tippy toes, grabbed my face and slammed his lips to mine.

I gasped in surprise but kissed him back, our mouths molding together as if they were made to touch.

I reached down and tugged on his hair while he wrapped his arms around my neck, his kisses becoming harsher- mad almost. It was as if he was melting all his anger and stress into me, but I didn't mind.

He pushed me until my back hit the wall and I hissed in slight pain, which Dan took the opportunity to slip his tongue into my mouth. Our tongues clashed passionately and I moved away from his mouth, dragging my tongue along his jawline and down to his neck.

I spun us so he was against the wall and he jumped up, his arms instantly wrapping themselves around me. My hands held him up by his waist and as soon as I kissed his neck he let out a squeak.

"Sensitive?"

He hummed his reply and leaned his head back, giving me more access.

We jumped at the sound of somebody clearing their throat, jumping away.

It was Nyla. Standing in the open doorway, which anyone could walk by and see. She smirked, giggling lightly. "Well, glad you guys are happy again."

But she didn't know that it wouldn't last, just as we didn't either.