four

D A N ' S P O V

"So where do you live?" Phil asked.

"Down that street," I murmured, pointing to a two-story brick house.

"Nice house," He complimented. I thanked him. As we were almost there, I saw something and screamed,

"Stop the car!"

He swerved, slamming on the breaks. The tires screeched until we came to a stop. He panted, looking over at me. "What the fuck did you do that for?" He asked.

I ignored him, jumping out of the car in the rain. He stared after me as I ran in front of the car, kneeling down and looking at the animal. Phil stepped out of the car out of the car to see what was so important.

I crouched, frowning at the dead squirrel. "We have to bury it."

He exhaled. "You've got to be shitting me," Phil grumbled. I glared at him, standing up and pulling at the hem of my pullover. His eyes widened. "It's already dead! Do you know how many of these stupid things get hit by cars? Just keep your shirt on, it's not alive to watch your little show!"

Ignoring him, I slipped off my sweater and reached down, wrapping the rodent in the garment. Phil followed me, shielding himself from the rain with his arms. We found a spot near a tree and I dug in the mud, laying the animal in the hole I made.

I nodded towards him, wanting Phil to help. He let out a sigh but kneeled down, burying the dead thing up.

"Rest in peace, little guy," I whispered, picking a small daisy and sticking it in the mud as a grave. He held in the urge to laugh. I looked at Phil. "I know squirrels die everyday. But people do too. If humans can have funerals, why can't animals? Sure, they're smaller and aren't as important, but they still matter and were put on this earth for a reason, therefore they deserve a proper going away and to not be sucked into oblivion. Even the smallest things deserve the biggest of affection."

He ran a hand through his damp hair, smiling sideways and standing up, helping me up. "Yeah, gotcha Shakespeare, but it's past your bedtime. You'll get sick if we stay out here."

Phil and I walked back to his car and I got in, immediately wrapping my arms around myself and shivering. He raised an eyebrow at me. "You cold?"

I shrugged. "A little." Yes, very. But I'm not gonna ask you because I have crippling social anxiety and don't want you to throw me out of your moving car for being a burden. No biggy.

"Dan, your lips are blue. Here," he said, reaching over and grabbing his black sweatshirt. He handed it to me. I raised an eyebrow at him. "Well are you gonna put it on or freeze to death?"

I slapped him playfully but slipped his sweatshirt on, the clothing too big on me. He parked in front of my house and Phil walked me to the door.

As we were saying goodbye he noticed my mother looking at him through the window. She immediately disappeared once she saw he caught her.

"I think your mum was looking at us."

I smiled sadly. "Don't worry about her. She's just been overprotective lately. My brother, Mason- he was killed a week ago. That's actually one of the main reasons they shoved me into support group. . . My parents are still trying to find out who did it. I guess they're just scared they'll lose me too."

Suddenly he pulled me in for a hug, something he never did to anybody. "I won't let anything happen to you."

I pulled back and smiled sadly. Upon remembering something, I told him to wait as I ran inside then came back out with his gift. I opened my small hand to expose a black bracelet. He furrowed his eyebrows and I happily raised my arm, a white bracelet on mine.

"Get it? Black and white go together, just like you and I," and suddenly I was pressing my lips to his cheek and running back inside my house, blushing and slamming the door shut. I stood on my tippy toes to peep through the small hole in the door to find him stood on my porch, shocked.

And then he smiled, shaking his head and skipping back to his vehicle.

P H I L ' S   P O V

"They're trying to figure out who did it," I told Wirrow and Bryony. Wirrow slammed his fists on his desk.

"Fuck. Do you know what they've already found out or if they've got any theories?" Wirrow asked me. I shook my head.

"That's all Dan told me," I answered honestly. Bry looked up at me.

"Get yourself into Dan's house. Get him to invite you over so you can meet the parents. Try and get them to talk about it," Bry explained. I nodded.

"So when are we gonna find Mason Howett?"

"Tomorrow night," Wirrow commanded. "Meet here at midnight- don't be late."

I nodded my head once. "Now both of you get out, I've got stupid support group tomorrow."

"Oh yeah. Who knows, maybe we'll show up," Bryony snickered, running a hand through her hair.

"Yeah, I've been wanting to meet that crossdressing queer."

I snarled at Wirrow's comment. "You seem to forget I'm gay too. And he's not a crossdresser, you're just being stereotypical."

They went silent before Wirrow burst out laughing. Bryony stayed quiet, shooting me an apologetic look before grabbing Wirrow's arm. "Quit being an ass and leave Dan alone. Come on, Phil needs sleep," Bry growled at Wirrow.

Wirrow grunted but obliged, climbing out my window and jumping down. Bry gave me a quick hug. "Just ignore him. And for tomorrow night, maybe try and sneak a small tracker in his drink. He'll drink it and it'll automatically attach itself to the side of his stomach, no harm inflicted."

I nodded and she was out my window after handing me the device. After they left I took a shower and got in my boxers, climbing into bed. I felt something against my arm and looked at it to see the black bracelet still on my wrist.

And it made me think. He was so colorful on the outside, but on the inside he wasn't so colorful. He was colorless and alone with his thoughts. I needed to learn more about him- even if it's something as stupid as his favorite shape. He's lonely and I can't let him stay that way.

He was a rainbow, but at the same time, somehow, he was colorblind.