Chapter 1 - The Hunger

Elyssa glanced down at her phone to check the time as her fingers tapped impatiently on the table. He was late, again. It was starting to turn into a habit with him and she wasn't happy about it. She only hoped his excuse this time was better than the last when he claimed to have gotten lost in an area he's been to a million times. Something was going on and if he didn't come clean soon on his own she'd be more than happy to start with the interrogations.

She didn't want to be that way with Dantes, and normally she wasn't. At least she couldn't remember being that impatient and such a stickler for time. She wondered if maybe the demonic side of her was affecting her more than she had realized, or maybe it was that she expected so much more from Dantes now that they were together.

Maybe that was the problem, she thought as she glanced down again at her phone. They were together...weren't they? She had assumed that they were, but now that she thought about it they had never really talked about the extent to which they both saw their relationship. Maybe he really didn't see her as his girlfriend. He did say he loved her though, numerous times in fact. That had to mean they were together, a very serious item in fact, didn't it?

She shook her head again. It had to be the hunger that was causing these doubts. She could feel it growing inside of her, gnawing at her. It wanted to be fed, and compared to that unquenchable thirst she had the patience of a saint. She was doing everything she could to hold it at bay. If she didn't feed soon though she'd be in trouble.

She glanced around the small cafe. It was almost empty except for a handful of occupied tables. It was a handful too many for what might come. Her skin felt like it was burning just as it always did when she was this hungry. Her back ached, another sign that she had waited too long to feed. If he didn't arrive within the next few minutes there was a good chance she'd start to turn and the result wouldn't be pretty.

The bell rang as someone entered, and Elyssa's eyes shot to the door. She breathed a sigh of relief upon seeing Dantes standing inside, his hazel eyes scanning the room for her. He didn't have to look long, as she was almost on top of him within a second of him entering. Before he could blink, her arms were around his neck and her lips locked against his. She kissed him with such force and passion that he almost couldn't breath.

"I think that gives a whole new meaning to taking someone's breath away," he finally whispered when she pulled herself away.

"You're late, again," she hissed back, visibly upset. It wasn't the response he was expecting after such a greeting.

"I'm sorry. I got caught up and..."

"Save it. I need to feed, like right now," Elyssa responded before he could finish. The kiss had helped slightly in controlling the hunger, but not enough to quench it and she desperately yearned for more.

"The feeding times are coming more quickly, aren't they?"

"Yes. And you being late isn't helping at all."

"It won't happen again. We have to find a way to get this under control though."

"You're complaining? You know most guys might actually like..."

"I'm not most guys, and if we're talking about most guys they'd be dead after that kind of workout. And that's not even considering your succubus side," he said with a slight chuckle to ease the tension.

"What a way to go though, right?"

Dantes opened his mouth to protest and then stopped after a second thought, "You've got me there."

She grabbed him by his shirt and pulled him in for a second kiss, this time less forceful and more seductive than the first. As she pulled away, she let her tongue linger an extra second upon his lips and then whispered back, "And I'm glad you're not most guys." She reached up, running her hand along the stubble on his jaw. "And now you're making the hunger worse just by being here."