14. Neil's POV

The day started well. Ishani knew where we stood, I hoped. She looked like a regal princess when she arrived for our engagement but as we stood together about to exchange rings. Ishani looked confused.

I knew my not informing Sid about Shruti's arrival was foolish. Thankfully a major scene had been averted. But Ishani needs to focus on us right now. Damn I was holding her hand to put that ring on her finger and make her mine but she did not look at me and smile. She looked distant and nervous.

These reactions were scaring me, was our decision to marry quickly a mistake? Were we really marrying for love? Well at least I was. I looked up after putting the ring on her finger and everyone clapped. Ishani gave me a small smile which did not light up her beautiful eyes.

Then slowly I saw Ishani bring forward my ring and my heartbeat became faster. It was a classic platinum band with a small solitaire neat and classy. But Ishani's reaction was making me crazy. Her fake smile and unshed teary eyes wanted me to leave the whole engagement. My mother was busy clapping enthusiastically. Ishani looked in my eyes and then took a deep breath and put the ring in my finger in quick succession. Like she wanted to end the whole ordeal quickly. The photographers made us pose and everyone congratulated us.

Soon my family took over Ishani. My mom gave her a huge diamond necklace and earrings. My grandmother gave Ishani gold kara's which had a exquisite peacock embossed. They were hers and a family heirloom.

My other relatives also gave various jeweleries. Gifting a new member was a way to welcome her into the family and it was also a show off of how rich you are. I quietly sat besides Ishani getting up to greet my few relatives and touch their feet.

Soon we were all called for dinner and Ishani went to her mother. While everyone sat for  dinner me and Ishani were sitting in the middle and were given one plate.

"Sharing food with your wife increases love," Ishani's grandmom quipped. I looked at Ishani and smiled, "then we have been in love forever nani jee. Because sharing food has always been our habit". "Bhaiya please feed bhabhi a bite. I want to click you feeding each other food," the photographer with a nasal twinge called out. The next hour was divided between feeding each other food and eating. But Ishani spoke a few words only. Her reserved attitude was crazy. Soon Ish and her bridal party left and I hugged her bye, she smelt of roses.

I then saw her wearing the earrings I gave her. Maybe we were going right. I hugged Ishani's father goodnight, "unclejee I leave on Friday then it's Singapore for a month. So I wanted to take Ishani for dinner on Thursday if its okay with you." This was our first official date. "Beta you don't need our permission. Ishani will soon ask you to meet us," her mother replied teary eyed. Mothers always got hormonal when their daughters got married. As they moved out I called out, "call me Ish." Everyone cheered.

While all the relatives left I went to my room and grabbed a bottle of scotch. I was not supposed to drink due to the rituals but now I wanted my drink, peace of mind and Ishani. She was a mystery to me today. She acted weird and hardly talked much like this was an arrange marriage. I was surprise. She wasn't the Ish I loved. Her chatter was missing. Maybe the Sid Reet thing really shook her.

I took out my phone and called Sid. He picked it up instantly. "Thanks bro. Reet just told me you knew mom and Shruti were coming tonight. Do you know how awkward the situation is. I'm sitting in my room hiding from mom because she can sense my heart is not with Shruti. But I can't tell her." Sid was on a verbal dirreoha phase. "Listen Sid. Get a life. I called you last night but you did not bother calling back. Thanks to your infidelity my engagement went horrible. Ishani was so sad. Your double life is not the most ideal but you could keep the cheating to yourself," I replied angrily gulping down the Scotch as it burned my throat.

"You know what Neil? You need to get up and smell the coffee. Ishani doesn't love you. Can't you see? Engaged or not," Sid replied and kept the phone down. I felt inadequate, upset, and yes Sid's comment burned my mind. Above the happiness of getting engaged was the hurt of hearing Ishani did not love me. Her reaction during the ceremony became clear. She did not want this engagement.

I was drinking in a blur and the alcohol was effecting me. I wanted to confront her right now and on unsteady feet I went to the balcony and shook the wind chimes crazily. Ishani came running out. She was wearing a grey tee-shirt with pink pajamas. "Neil you will wake up the whole colony," she yelled. "As if you care Ish," I replied. Suddenly I felt Ishani place her hand on my cheek, "what's wrong Neil? Are you okay? Did you drink?," she asked sniffing around me. Now she will make my being drink an issue as if she doesn't drink. I did the mistake of thinking out aloud. Shit I spoke these words!

I saw Ishani's expressions freeze before she walked out. "Good night Neil. Enjoy you're alcohol." I was angry was an understatement. I went to my room and feel asleep in an uncomfortable sleep. In the morning I got up earlier tha and went to the gym I needed the workout to kill the anger in me. I pushed Ishani out of my mind and exercised hard. I came home, showered and changed. I saw my inbox was blocked with mails. I started replying them.

Maa came with my usual toast and tea breakfast, "morning ma" I said without looking up. "Morning. Beta I was thinking of redecorating your room according to Ishani." She started with her plans which included changing the flooring! "Maa discuss this with Ishani instead," I muttered before gulping my juice and heading to work. My behaviour last night might have been a bit out of hand but Sid's comments burned me and they still hurt. Only Ishani could change this and she was angry on my comment. I decided to call her but my hurt pride didn't let me.