Twenty years later...

Rohan's POV

It's my 20th birthday. Dad had arranged a party for me. He said that he was taking us to a special place. No idea where he's actually taking us.
"Rohan......  Get ready soon....  We'll be late" Jem shouted from her room. "yeah yeah I'm almost done, mom."I mocked.
It's been years and she's 24 now. About to get married. She's engaged to her boyfriend Jake.
I wore a black jeans and a white T-shirt and rushed down to find dad watching TV. And Jem talking to Jake.
"Hey,  little bro happy 20th birthday" Jem said extending her hands to hug me. I hugged her back "thanks Jem".
"Happy Birthday Rohan" Jake gave me a firm handshake. "thanks Jake" I said.
"Rohan" dad called out. "yeah dad" I said going to him.
"Happy Birthday young man. Your twenty now" my dad said. I smiled and nodded, "yeah dad,  thanks" I said.
"Your growing up now,  and I want you to be a good person. I don't want you to repeat the mistakes I did when I was like you" dad said holding me by my shoulders. Though I didn't understand what he meant by the mistakes he did. But I promised him that I'd never let him down. I had never seen my mother but I had seen him. He was the one who has done everything for me. Right from bearing my tantrums, fulfilling my wants and everything I ever asked him for.
I had always tried to know about mom but he never told me anything nor did he even let me see her. I wanted to know about her,  how she is, where she is?  But i'm still waiting for that time to come.
"come on now we all are going out for dinner" dad said and switched off the TV.

After dinner we were back home and I was changing my clothes when someone knocked the door. "yeah??" I asked. "Rohan, Jemmy here" Jem said.
I went and opened the door letting her in. Strangely she closed the door after entering. She was holding something, which seemed like an envelope.
She motioned me to sit by her side. I did as I was told.
"Rohan look I know i'm not supposed to do this but it was mom's last wish" Jem said handing me the envelope.
"last wish?  Where is she?" I asked confused. "She's dead Rohan. She gave up while giving you birth" those words struck me like a sword. I had been waiting for my mum who died because of me. I had killed her. I couldn't control my tears any more and I started to sob.
Jem held my hand and said "it's none  of your mistake Rohan don't blame yourself for it. Mum gave you birth knowing that she won't live because she wanted dad to be happy. Rohan read this".
I opened the letter with trembling hands.
Dear Rohan,
Happy 20th to you. I'm so happy my son has grown so big.
When you'll be reading this I probably won't be there with you, but please read carefully. It's really important. You need to know everything.
I'm sure Karan is very angry with me for leaving but i'm happy that I did this,  for him, for me.
He was very happy when he came to know that I was carrying you. I had seen him genuinely happy that time. I didn't want to spoil it by saying that I was weak for conceiving again. I was very young when I gave birth to Jem so maybe the complications were because of that. Baby, I wanted to bring you to this world. And if you ever think of blaming yourself for me then don't. Because it was all my decision.
Jemmy will get married soon, and you will too one day. Both of you will get settled in your lives. But you're dad, I'm sure he hasn't got married yet. And plans not to. But I know he needs someone. Not just to get over me, but also to get a support system. My best friend Sanjana she loved Karan a lot. But gave him up for you for me and for Jem. She deserves him. She'll be the one whom I can rely upon to take care of Karan. Please try to get both of them together if Sanjana isn't married yet. That'll be my last wish.
Last but not the least, baby you and Jemmy couldn't ask for a better dad having Karan by your side. I'm sure I don't have to worry about you both because he's there. He loves you a lot so please don't hurt him ever.
Tell your dad that I love him too. I never got a chance to say that to him.
I love you both too. Always remember that. Even though i'm not with you, I'm always seeing you both.
Love, Mom

Attached to it was a picture of her. My mum. She was beautiful. Jemmy was just a reflection of her. I wish I could meet her only once. Hug her and tell her that I missed her.
Tears rolled down my eyes uncontrollably. She had sacrificed herself for dad's happiness. She was great.
Jemmy hugged me and we both sobbed holding each other.
That night we promised each other to get Sanjana Aunty and dad together at any cost. They deserved it.