IX_ "Shatter Me"

*THREE DAYS IN*

03:47am

Running mindlessly, Lexy was on the verge of stopping after the rest of the Book Smarts. She wanted to give up.

Grace's death seemed like the end of the world to her and she felt betrayed as to the smarts's force towards the exit. They were slowing down, getting worn out and sweaty.

Azzam had stopped to take a breath and it wasn't long before a walker emerged from a tree to tare him apart. Knawing on his neck, his veins split like bad cords.

He gasped for them to leave him behind, behind to die; for them to live. It had been too late. And so they did.

Paced away they did, through the morning, forest fog that trapped their words in mimicking waves.

The mass of undead surrounded Azzam, feeding on his guts, blood and bones. Others were able to escape, but it wasn't long before Filsan spotted a cabin nearby.
"Look! We can go there!" She chimed, pointing in it's direction.

Infected were hungrily catching up to them but Abdulhamid, Lexy and Musty. Along with the rest persisted and hit hard on the exterior. Shouting out help slurs.

The door had been locked and the Underdogs inside were afraid to open up but were too pressured not to.
"Hafiz!?" Praised Abdulhamid as he pressed in.
"Quickly. Come in!"

Everyone was safe and sound inside. Door locked behind them, the survivors plunked down to catch rest. Reunited friends hugged and greeted.

Lexy sat in a corner, crying hysterically due to the loss of her friend.
Kaan, Filsan, Musty, Nez, Maryam, Manav and Daniel sat in silence as they gave their time to remember Grace and Azzam.
Hafiz, Tarek, Okur and Jamou watched them with painful faces.

Abz sat with Lexy and when he plopped himself down beside her. Her face slammed into her palms, dripping with desperation. He let his arm comfort her and he pulled her in close.
Whispy, he said through reddened eyes.
"Lexy."
She continued her Grace mourning whilst the rest stood in silhouette, watching in tongue ties.
"I'm here for you. Always."
Her tears met his.
"Grace... I'm sorry about Grace. We all are."
She didn't speak.
How could she?

He embraced her, letting the raindrops find his chest.
Filsan and Neslihan let themselves kneel down with the couple. Worshipping the saddened atmosphere.

Hafiz felt bad. He hadn't been with them when Grace died. But he was able to put two-and-two together. He had carried his sarcasm with him wherever he went. But he always knew when to appropriately keep calm.

Hafiz's eyes stood in a stare as he let himself down with one of his longest known friend's, Abdulhamid.

"I think-... We will. We will all, miss her Lexy. She was a good girl." Finished Musty, hand on Nez's shoulder.

Kaan turned to Manav.
"We could have been there for him."
"Azzam. I know... It's inhuman. But we had to." Manav's undying smug smile left long ago.

Creaks of despair came upon their senses and the air filled with the cutting sound of more and more walkers closing in on them. Inside, the shadowy figures stared at each other unknowingly. The hut was cramped, tight and weak.

Okur nudged a shutter softly, seeing an infected he instantly forced it back down. Walkers were slow. But somehow, so fast.

Countless numbers pounded and pounded on the perimeter. Lexy's sobs quickly dried up in trepidation as the walls started to slightly give in.

The Underdogs and Book Smarts were together indeed, but they were surrounded.

At that moment. 'Survival of the fittest' became their new slogan.

They needed a plan. An escape plan. Though whatever they were to spice up.

No plan would have been truly pure enough to determine the survival of them all.