chapter 3

January 3rd, 2016 7:32 pm

A promise is many things, hope, trust, a secret that should not be spoken. the person I made the promise to is putting his life on the line for a place to sleep for the night, I'm putting my own life on the line to make sure I fulfill the promise. keep him safe for as long as he is in my house.

" Um, how old are you?" mark asks me as I showed him the guest room.

" I'm a age" I say and glance at him as I went into the closet and got bed sheets.

" You look young." he says as I set the sheets on the floor and searched for the bed sheet, that goes on the mattress first.

" New year, new rules" I say and found the sheet and set it on the bed. one of the new rules were that when you turn sixteen you get moved into a apartment or house and you didn't get a say in it.

" Yeah, I know" he says and grabs the other side of the sheet and helps me put it on. another rule was that there was no human contact, unless it had to do with: jobs, police, school, and kids younger then sixteen that you lived with. so I'm breaking another rule. I look for the sheet as he finishes his corner. once I found it I set it on the bed and start to fix it.

" Do you know why youtube is banned?" mark quietly asks as he focus on making the bed.

" They never told anyone, there was theories and rumors that they outlawed youtube and youtubers because its a big influence on people"

" That's kind of true but its... because youtubers have much more power and influence over people then the government does and I guess they were afraid of being over thrown, so they banned it and are hunting for youtubers."

" But if that was true, lets say it is, why all the other laws?" I ask and look in the pile of blankets for a comforter.

" Maybe to keep people restricted? no human contact until all youtubers are captured and killed, except under these circumstances..." he suggests and then repeats one of the rules.

" Maybe.." I say and put the comforter, that I found moments before, on the bed. " But that doesn't give them the right to hunt down youtubers" I quietly add as I took my part and helped mark make the bed.

"Yes, but nobody stands up because of the rule" ' anyone caught rioting and/or breaking the rules will have a fate worse then death'

" I know, everyone is afraid" I say as we finished the bedding, I walked to the closet and grabbed a few pillow and cases.

" But you weren't..." mark says as I tossed him a pillow and he caught it.

" I am afraid" I say, its true, I am afraid we'll get caught and the fate. I tossed him another pillow and two cases.

" Me too... but we just have to risk it, I was afraid of breaking into your home and you calling the police."

" I thought about it." I say and I put the case on the pillow.

" I know, but you didn't."

" I didn't" I repeat as I threw the pillows onto the bed. " but how did you know to trust me?"

" I didn't know, I was afraid, tired and hungry. I wasn't thinking straight and I..." he trails off and sets the pillows on the bed. I glance at him and caught him staring at me.

" You what...?"

" I- I wasn't thinking straight" he says and leave it at that. I nod and walk toward the door, I stop when I reached it and slowly turned around.

" Mark...?" I say

" Yes?" he faces me, there were bags under his eyes and looked a little afraid.

" Would you like dinner? I mean I still have to make it and it will be soup, so..."

" Yes, please, uh, thank you." he says with a small smile.

" Uh, you could go take a shower if you like." I say and walk out of the room and down stairs. I reach the kitchen and put a pot of water on the stove, turning it on. as I walked to the hallway closet I hear the shower water running, a small smile spread across my face as I reached for a can of soup. I went to the kitchen and started cooking the soup. A few mins later it was finished, I glanced at the clock on the wall. 8:04 pm

I jumped up in surprise as I heard mark's voice.

" Um, is it done..?" he asks, I turn around and saw mark in his clothes he was in earlier.

" Uh, yeah" I say and poured some in a bowl and handed it to him, along with a spoon. we ate in silence with a little tension, I was about to get up and put my bowl in the sink, when mark said something.

" Why are you letting me stay here?" mark asked, catching my attention.

" I don't know, maybe because of the promise or because you need the rest... I'm not sure".

" Nobody is sure anymore" he says and sighs.

" Maybe you looked like you needed the help"

" What if we get caught?" he whispers and puts his head in his hands. I opened and closed my mouth, fear, is what these rules gave us. not safety. we stay in silence for a few mins until I find my answer, the same answer he gave me earlier.

" Its just a chance were gonna have to take." I say and put my bowl in the sink and walked upstairs without another word, I gently closed my bedroom door, the click was the last thing I heard before the silence.