A whole new world

I can't sleep. I am curled up against Majka in the dust. She's sound asleep. In the darkness it's almost impossible to see the scratch along her back. Almost. I sniff it. It smells fresh, like it had happened recently.

I stand up and stretch, careful not to wake her. Maybe I can get out of here. Majka said that we were still in Ohio. My barn could be close. I mean, Ohio can't be that big. Of course I've never seem much outside of my old barn, so for all I know Ohio is enormous.

I decide to explore. There's no point in sitting around when I could be finding a way out of here. I look around, sniffing the air. There's a window to my right, or maybe my left. I don't know the difference really. I walk towards the window trying not to make to much noise.

When I reach the window it's a lot higher than it looked from far away. Luckily there are several boxes that I am able to jump on to get to the enormous height.

When I reach the top I look down. Big mistake. I almost fall off the mountain as I try to back away from another ledge. I need to calm down.

I walk over to the window and wipe it off with my paw. I sneeze. The dust is so thick that if I were to walk in it my feet would sink in up to my ankles.

It's hard to see out, but a small amount of light is able to peak through. I blink, my eyes trying to adjust to the light. Only a little bit of the window can be seen out of because there are leaves covering the ground. Behind the leaves are all sorts of animals. I recognize a few; cows, pigs, chickens. There are also some very large birds that sort of look like chickens. Some of them have floppy things hanging from their necks. There are also animals that look like small cows with horns on their heads. Some of the mini cows are super fluffy.

I have trouble focusing on all the new animals, however, because I am distracted by what is being done to them. They are being shoved into really big cars. Even though the cars are huge, the animals are being packed in way too tight. It would have been like if me, my mom, and my siblings all were stuffed in a shoebox. With the lid on.

The chickens were being thrown into the cars. And when I say thrown, I mean the humans were literally picking them up by their legs and wings and flinging them into the shelves that are lining the cars.

Suddenly one of the cows collapses. It looks so fat that it can't hold up its weight. That's not how cows are supposed to look. The cows at my barn were fat, but their bodies were proportional to their legs. These cows looked like a car on legs. The humans begin to kick the downed cow. It struggles to get up, but falls back in the mud. It looks terrified. The humans grab some metal sticks that are making some sort of zappy light. The cows screams when one makes contact with its skin. Somehow it makes it to its feet and scrambles into the already full car.

The humans slam the door and the cows are cow. As they are driving away, one cow makes eye contact with me. There is a piece of green grass stuck between its almost destroyed teeth.