Chapter 9 - An Obsession with Throwing Knives

(Forgive me for this.)

Ashburn

---------------

I had never truly appreciated the beauty of throwing knives until I started my new job.

Truly, they are the most badass of all weapons.

Besides a double-sided battle-axe. Because dude, that's just freaking cool.

Anyways, throwing knives are extremely convenient for three reasons:

1. They are affordable (especially with the way I make money. More on that later.)

2. They are silent and deadly, and

3. They can be used with the same functionality as a regular knife.

This is why I recommend that you get a crap-ton of the things if you're in the mercenary business like myself. What am I, you ask?

Two things: a mercenary, and a RuneCaster.

Now, if you don't know what the heck a mercenary is, I suggest you do your research. I can understand, however, if you are asking yourself what in the name of Irene the Matron a RuneCaster is. As far as I know, I'm the only one in the entire world. And I've gone to a lot of the other regions, from Gal'ruk to Fro'zek.

And I suggest that you don't go to Gal'ruk. There are WAY too many pirates to handle.

Back to why throwing knives are awesome.

Now, imagine yourself in the following situation: you are a mercenary who was just hired to track down a group of bandits who had captured some local children. The small camp that they created has three bandits present: a guard, a servant, and the leader. The leader is in the tent, the servant is busy tying up the children, and the guard is at the entrance to the tent, protecting the leader from people like myself.

Out of the two visible bandits, which would you aim for, the servant or the guard?

If you said the servant, you basically just got yourself killed. The guard is the strongest out of the three, but never the brightest. You always take him out first so that you can then deal with the servant. It is a possibility that, once you take out the guard, the servant will go straight into submission. On rare occasions, though, they can have extensive sword-fight training. Either way, once you've taken the guard down, you always grab his weapon so that the servant cannot get to it without a fight.

Once the servant is taken down, you either take care of the leader or untie the children and bounce out of there without having to encounter them. Best choice is the latter; you don't want to get too cocky.

And now you have successfully saved a group of children from bandits.

And, of course, throwing knives were used during all of this.