Chapter XV : One Brutal Murder

Start from the beginning

"Be quiet," Sebastian hissed, a mere whisper in my ear. "Stay absolutely silent. We have company."

Company? Company? What sort of company?! I took a moment to compose myself, before giving a tiny nod.

"Alright. When I release you, you do not scream. Climb back down, and back in with Lord Phantomhive. Are we clear?"

I nodded again.

"Excellent." He slipped his hand from my mouth, and with trembling fingers, I clambered down the ladder as quickly and quietly as I could. Unlocking the door was a task and a half, but I managed to climb inside, still shaking violently.

Ciel Phantomhive was asleep in the seat across from me, his dark hair tousled and spiked, his clothing crumpled. But once I sat down, he mumbled quietly, rolling.

"'Leste?" He mumbled, pushing his hair – and his eyepatch – up, off his forehead. The purple contract seal gleamed in the half-light. "What on earth is happening? Why have we stopped?"

"Shh!" I shook my head, grabbing onto his hand. My heart was beating far too hard in my chest. "N-no. There – there is something out there, Ciel." Fear was present in every syllable I spoke.

Ciel sat up as straight as a rod, both eyes wide with alarm. He gave a curt nod, and mouthed; 'Sebastian?'

"He's out there. What – do you think it is Undertaker?" I asked fearfully, and he shook his head.

"No. His first priority is protecting the woman, he would not jeopardise that in such an irresponsible way. It must be something else." He got up from the seat, creeping across to the window and drawing the curtain back a milimeter.

Nothing but darkness, and silence.

Oh Christ. Panic shook through all of the cells in my body, my breathing harsh and difficult to normalize. This was a nightmare. We're all going to die, we're all going to die –

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a blade, whistling through the air, which seconds later was embedded in the roof of the hansom, inches from the nose of Ciel and I.

I couldn't help it; I screamed. I screamed loud enough to wake the dead, and Ciel screeched in surprise, leaping back into his seat. There was a ripping sound as the blade was drawn out of the roof again, the sound of struggling, stumbles as what seemed to be two bodies hit the ground outside of us, followed by the clang of metal on stones.

"Where is she?!"

"Sebastian!" I screamed, throwing myself at the door and pawing at the lock. Ciel fastened his arms around my waist, pulling me back.

"Celeste, don't go out there!"

"Sebastian!" I pushed the shutter open, trying to get a look, some sort of look at him, just to make sure that he was alright, he was winning at whatever was attacking him. But there was nothing, nothing but the night. "Sebastian!"

"Don't be ridiculous, I won't let you die."

"I don't care, let me see if he's alright!" I pulled away from Ciel and pushed the door open, falling out onto the ground. "Sebastian!"

"Celeste, get back inside!" The normally velvety voice was strained, under stress, followed by a grunt of exertion on the attacker's part, and he spoke again:

"Tell me where she is, demon scum."

It was coming from the trees – they were in the forest. Quickly, I picked myself up, sprinting off in the direction of the struggle. Ciel could be heard jumping out after me.