Chapter IX : One Flamboyant Reaper

I can't fear death, no longer -- I've died a thousand times.

"I am quite alright now, Sebastian, there is no need to fuss."

"You fainted again, Lady Ashdown, and you may have a possible concussion."

I'd been sitting in the corner of the second floor drawing room for the past half hour. Eleven had come and gone, and Ciel was in his office, questioning the woman we'd found in Greenhill's, whose name I had learned to be Grace Harcourt. Greenhill, of course, had been arrested for murder on the spot.

Sebastian had come to our aid, cuffing Greenhill and apprehending Grace. She came quietly, without a fuss; or so I was told, because at this point I was passed out on the floor of Greenhill's mansion. Sebastian had escorted Grace to the hansom privately, before picking me up from the ground, and following after Ciel.

Halfway through the cab ride, I had come through. When I woke, I saw that the butler in black had my feet resting in his lap, and was reading a book; Ciel sat on the seats opposite us, beside the young woman who was mumbling to her fingers. He didn't look happy with the seating arrangement, but I learned later that Sebastian was holding me steady lest I roll off.

The rest of the journey was spent in uncomfortable silence; and I must confess, I pretended to be asleep. I didn't really want to deal with any of the aspects regarding that case.

At all.

"I'm fine. My head hurts a little, but other than that, there is no issue."

"Very well." Sebastian pursed his lips, arms folded over his chest. "If you must insist on staying up, I will wait with you in case you need assistance."

I groaned; but it was good natured. "Really, there is no need. If you have other tasks –"

"Those which can be completed in the blink of an eye. After all, I am one hell of a butler." He said pleasantly, gripping the back of the seat opposite me and drawing it out, before he sat.

"Well..." I blinked, innocent. "If you insist on staying...."

"Perhaps I could tempt you with a game of chess?" His answering smile was curling and carnal, like a predator. Loaded with intent.

"Get the board out. Let's see how fast I can beat you this time."

"I am still waiting for my cat, Celeste."

Flexing my fingers and cracking my neck, I whistled through my teeth as Sebastian produced the board. "A cat which you won't be receiving any time in the near future."

And he was just about to take his first move when the doors burst open and Ciel stormed in, looking absolutely furious.

"She's insane!" He snapped, running a hand back through his dark hair in agitation. "She is absolutely certifiable!"

"Are you referring to Miss Harcourt, my Lord?" Sebastian rose, and I felt a wave of disappointment crashing over me. "What seems to be the issue?"

"She is incapable of answering any of my questions. All she keeps muttering is 'Violet', and 'I love you.' That is it, she hasn't changed the record for the past hour." His voice was despairing. "I thought we had struck gold, Sebastian. I really had."

"The poor creature has no soul, young master. Perhaps this is the issue?"

Ciel sighed, before glancing over to me. "Go to my study and see to her, she's a mess. Sebastian, stay here. We have things to..." His blue eyes brightened all of a sudden, intelligent. "Discuss..."

Not bothering to stay around for any longer, I wandered out into the hallway and began to twist my hair in my hands. Feeling anxious, antsy all of a sudden – I had to deal with her now. The zombie. What would she be like? Would she try to eat me?