Chapter III : One Unwilling Houseguest

"Earl Phantomhive." I didn't know what to do, really. This boy - this young boy in front of me - he was heir to one of the most powerful estates in the British Empire. He had earned his own reputation as Queen Victoria's guard dog, and he commanded a vast network of informants and underlings. He made my paltry achievements look absolutely pathetic.

"Sit." He gestured to the chair front of him, "Please. Sebastian, leave us."

"Of course, Young Master. Do you wish for me to prepare refreshments?"

Earl Phantomhive's eye flickered to me and he quirked an eyebrow. "Tea?"

"That would be - um, lovely, thank you."

"You heard the woman, Sebastian."

"Yes, My Lord." Sebastian bowed and left the room, the door closing with a quiet click.

"How do you do that?" I blurted out, sitting down in the chair. "Oh, I'm sorry, Earl, that was - out of place." I felt like I was in trouble, like the Earl himself was my master. His presence was very strong, a no-nonsense attitude about him.

"Please, my name is Ciel." He pulled the chair behind the desk back and sat down in it, slumping against the back. He was smiling properly now; a warm, intelligent smile. "Rephrase the question."

"With - Sebastian. The demon. How do you get away with treating him that way?" I was amazed. I thought Sebastian would have ripped his head off, the way that Ciel was speaking to him.

Brief surprise flickered "Oh, him?" He chuckled. "I like to see how far I can push him, what I can get away with. He has quite a long fuse, but if the servants have been acting up he snaps in a delightfully explosive manner. Such patience has been tested with you." Oh, I had irritated the butler. "I decided to have a little fun - However, he cannot harm me if it is against my wishes."

"I understand," I answered, even though I had only partially registered. "Um..."

"Yes, the matter of the case. We have many details to discuss." Ciel pushed his hair back from his face, displaying the black eyepatch. "The first of which must be obvious."

"Please - enlighten me."

"You know of demons," he said simply, playing with the tips of a leather glove which he still wore. "How is this? And please, unless you have a fantastically detailed story, spare me lies. I do not have time for that sort of thing."

I shut my mouth. Opened it, and shut it again. Speaking about demons on the first date was not an intelligent move. Come now, Celeste, you may as well just admit it. "I was signed into a contract of my own."

"'Was'?" He enquired, fixing me with a slightly perplexed frown.

"The demon in question involved is now dead," I said, giving a small nod and looking down at my lap again. "The bargain is no longer active, and I still have my soul; however, it is, as your lapdog so eloquently put it, stained."

"Interesting. How did it die?"

"He."

"My apologies. How did he die? Demons are naturally rather robust creatures."

"He was murdered." I swallowed. "Two and a half years or so ago."

"I see. Would it be possible for you..." Ciel leaned forward, his fingers knotting together. He paused, plucked a pencil from the jar beside him, and clasped it between his hands before continuing, "To divulge the terms of this contract?" His voice was soft, and kind, his blue eye seeming to will me to speak to him. "I understand if you find this whole business too distressing to talk about."