(VI) "You Know How I Feel"

Prior to the release of Thriller, Isabella selfishly ended her romantic relationship with Michael.  The whole thing seemed more and more immature as time went on.  Isabella's friend said Isabella and Michael shouldn't date anymore.  So Isabella ended it. 

     Michael and, Isabella's former best friend, Janelle, had a platonic relationship.  They only saw each other a few times in life.  Most of their relationship was over the phone, just as he and Isabella's came out to be.  But he dated Janelle for only a few months.  And nothing ever came out of it.  Michael's relationship with Isabella lasted for a little over a year and out of all the days, the only saw each other maybe a total of 15 of them.  Phone bills were high around that time.  But it was worth it for the both of them.  Because when they would finally see each other, they shared the most amazing high.  They weren't able to keep off of each other, though as two young religious kids, they never let it get too far.  But they enjoyed being in the presence of one another a great deal. 

     Isabella hurt Michael when she first left him.  And it hurt even more when she chose Prince over him a year later. 

     For years, Michael dreamed of her.  And little would he ever believe, but she would still dream of him too.

     She often thought about reaching out to him again.  But as time went on and his fame grew, he became further from her reach. 

     As she slowly took a full step inside of the room, she had to remind herself to breathe and keep up her smile.  It didn't register that she was staring at her ex-boyfriend either.  Michael's looks had changed so much since she last laid eyes on him in 1982.  If it weren't for his smile, she wouldn't have believed it was him.  His eyes were shielded by black Ray-Bans.  And his hair was much longer than she remembered.  Last time she saw him, he had a short curly afro.  Now his thick curls dangled in front of his face, reaching past his nose.  The rest of his curls were pulled back in a ponytail but most of them managed to escape the bands hold.

     She could clearly notice the changes with his skin as well.

     "Hey," he said to her with the biggest smile. 

     "Hi, Michael," she said shyly, as if it was her first time meeting him.

     He walked up to her and initiated a hug.  "It's so nice to see you.  Thank you for doing this."

     Badly, she wanted to ask 'why me?' but she didn't.  "Thanks for asking.  I haven't been able to read the lyrics yet really but it sounds beautiful," she said with all the sincerity in the world.

     "Thank you." 

     As Isabella continued to do with him, Michael was checking her out too.  For himself, he hardly even recognized her.  To him, her looks changed as well.  Her hair was longer, blown out, and in its natural dark color.  Also, he had never seen her in anything so close-fitting.  Her high-waist, acid wash jeans hugged her so tight he was seeing her curves for the first time.  He then tried to remember if they were always there.  And then he noticed the black shirt she wore didn't reach her waist leaving some of her skin to show. 

     "Umm," he quickly looked to Quincy.  "Play the track."

     "Here," Quincy handed Isabella a sheet with some of her lyrics. 

     "Oh, gee, I'm really nervous now," she confessed with a laugh.

     It was the most beautiful ballad to his ears.  Michael would always go on about how much he loved the sound of Isabella's joy.  Hearing it after so many years gave him a mass fluttering in his core.  "Don't be nervous.  We're going to have fun.  You'll be fine," he said sweetly.