"Come on," Abbie said, "Let's go outside and wait for people to show up."

I trailed after her miserably, my new idea making more and more sense. Every time we did something together, was I the third wheel? He was probably hating the whole duet. Oh, I was messing everything up! I was so occupied by my thoughts that I didn't notice Abbie trying to get my attention. I looked up at where she was gesturing and caught the eye of...Logan.

"Abbie, I don't feel good," I moaned, turning toward her, "Why did you invite him?"

"I didn't," she replied, obvious disgust in her voice. "He must have come with his girlfriend."

I snuck a quick peek. There was Kaela, with her silky red hair and green eyes, loaded up with makeup. She was holding hands with Logan. My heart plummeted at the sight. Kaela was Abbie's neighbor from up the road, so she didn't have much of a say in Kaela's invite. But why would Kaela bring Logan? Him, of all people!!!

"Ella?"

I had zoned out, staring at the spot where Kaela and Logan had been. This bonfire didn't seem like much fun anymore. Abbie grabbed my arm and dragged me to the fire-pit.

"Mom!"

Mrs. Almes looked up.

"We don't want Kaela or Logan to be here! Why did you invite them?"

"Ab, I'm just trying to be nice." She glanced around. "Please! We don't want to create any conflicts!"

Abbie shook her head. "Here."

She handed me a marshmallow and I stared at it, puzzled.

"The ultimate comfort food. Eat it, and feel better. Throw it at Kaela, and feel better!"

I shook my head and stuffed it in my mouth. We stayed by the fire as long as we could, talking to the adults. Eventually, though, Lacey came over and tugged on Abbie's arm. "Come on! We need more people to play flashlight tag!"

The neighborhood kids and all of their friends were running around, but Lacey somehow got them all to calm down long enough to pick who was 'it' and explain the rules. I was careful to look at Lacey and nobody else. I raised my hand and waited for her to notice.

"Um, I don't think I can play."

Some of the kids looked up at me, confused. I was wearing a baggy sweatshirt, so it was harder to take notice of my limp arm. Thankfully, Lacey didn't argue with me.

"Okay. Ella's the referee!"

"Why?" One of the kids finally asked.

I could feel my cheeks get red and I looked down at the ground.

"Her arm doesn't work," a voice answered for me. It was Logan's voice.

"Okay, let's go," Abbie commanded before anyone could say anything else.

I sat on Abbie's front porch and watched everyone scatter into the darkness of the big yard. Eventually, one of the little boys who was 'it' approached me and asked where everyone had gone. I gladly directed him to the area where I'd seen most of the kids go. He ran off happily, clicking the flashlight on and off.

"You know, you're not supposed to tell them. Cheater."

I closed my eyes and wished hard that Logan would go away.

"Ella?"

No dice.

"Are you going to ignore me this entire time?"

I stayed quiet and didn't look behind me. Unfortunately, he sat down beside me. I turned my head to the opposite side and didn't look into those blue-green eyes.

"I'm sorry."

Silence.

"I am! It's just, how am I supposed to think about anything good when you're staring at me with that big scar on your face? And that arm, just hanging there...It's weird."

I let out an indignant noise and turned to face him, ending up way closer than I thought we would be.

"But, God, those eyes..." He trailed off.

He brushed his hand against my cheek, leaning in closer to me. It took me a second to come to my senses and push him back, standing up with a shriek. "You jerk!"

He narrowed his eyes at me.

"First off, you have a girlfriend! And she hates me! Second off, every word out of your mouth makes me want to hit you. With my ONE good arm!"

I turned and stormed off without another word, heading toward Abbie's garage. I opened the door and ran up the stairs, finding my way to her room. Not even caring anymore, I fell onto her bed and hid under the covers, hoping nobody ever found me.

***

She just can't get rid of Logan! What did you think of his comments about her injuries? What a jerk, right? And who thinks Ella's theory is right? Is that why things are getting so weird with Holden?

Alright, I'll eventually get to posting a video of the choreography I wrote for Ella and Holden's duet. That is, IF my sister cooperates. Go yell at Paige if you really want to see that bit of the dance...

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaase vote and comment!!! Seriously! I need some motivation :(

~HalleBallet