Chapter Eighteen

Merlin laid on the forest floor, blood seeping from his wound. I held his head in my lap.

"Merlin!" I sobbed, remembering my dream from long ago "I'm so sorry! I never should've let this happen!"

"No." Merlin croaked "It wasn't your fault."

"Yes, it was! I knew this was going to happen! I saw it in my dreams! I should've warned you! I shouldn't have walked into the woods by myself! I shouldn't have asked you to come and help me!"

"Stop, Beatrice. I said it wasn't your fault."

I sobbed into his hair, just like I did with my mother when she died.

He started to cough, and he coughed blood all over his face. Then, his breaths became sharp, and I could tell he was close to drawing his final breath.

"No." I screamed " No no no no no no!"

"Beatrice-"

"Don't you dare die on me, Merlin!" I cried "I wouldn't be able to live with myself."

"It's okay, Beatrice." He croaked "I'll be alright. Just let me go. It hurts too much."

"No. I will not let them have the satisfaction." I had to save him, Camelot would not be the same without him. I thought hard of what I should do. Then, I was struck with an idea. A ridiculous idea, yes, but an idea nonetheless.

"Here. Let me try something."

I put my palm on his wound, and could feel the warmth of his blood. It was very gross, but I didn't care.

I shut my eyes, and thought of healing him, how much I wanted the wound to close.

I remembered the dragon's words from long ago: you are destined to be a much greater sorcerer than Emrys himself, both in strength and courage, which you will never get credit for.

At that moment, I didn't need credit. I just needed Merlin to live.

A chill ran up my spine, and into my hand. I concentrated long and hard.

"Heal."

The words came out so forcefully, it didn't sound like my own voice. My voice sounded much more powerful. The chill in my hand turned into a burning sensation, and it took all my willpower just to keep it on his wound.

I groaned in pain, but I refused to move my hand.

Then, a bright light shone out my hand and into his wound, and I could hear Merlin gasping frantically. The burning sensation became worse, the light brighter.

Until, everything stopped. The light turned off. My hand stopped burning. Merlin stopped gasping.

I slowly removed my hand. The wound was completely healed. I did it. I saved Merlin's life.

But then I looked more closely at Merlin, and my face dropped.

His eyes were shut, and he wasn't breathing. Was I too late? Did I not heal him in time?

"Oh, Merlin." I whispered, tears dripping down my cheeks "I'm so-"

Just then, he gasped for air, and sat up straight. He opened his eyes, but they were not blue. They were gold. But after a few seconds, they returned to normal. He was still the Merlin I knew.

"Beatrice," he smiled "you did it. You saved me!"

"Merlin!" I hugged him tightly "You're alive!"

He hugged me back.

"I'm so sorry for everything I did. Telling secrets without permission, running into the forest by myself. Everything." I said.

"No," Merlin shook his head "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have gotten mad at you like that. I don't blame you for your actions at all. I love you. You're like my little sister."

"And you're my older brother. And what would I do without you?"

We hugged one more time.

"That was pretty impressive, laddie." William said. I gasped. I forgot that he was there.

I got up and hugged William "Thank you for trying to protect me."

"No problem at all. So, does this mean that Merlin's a..." His voice trailed off.

Merlin got up and walked up to the two of us "Yes, I am a sorcerer."

William shook his head, trying to absorb it all "Okay."

"Can we head back to Camelot now, please?" I pleaded "I've had enough adventure to last me a lifetime."

"So have I." Merlin agreed, rubbing the place where the knife landed "Let's go pick up that horse and go home."

We walked back to Camelot together, all three of us alive and in one piece.
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•
Hey everybody!

I just realized that I totally forgot to give that announcement about "The Bandit Heroes" in the last chapter, so I'll do it right now.

Well, I'm shutting it down.

Yup, that's right folks, I'm deleting it.

Why? Not because it doesn't get any reads or votes, that doesn't play a factor at all. The reason I'm deleting it is because I'm not proud of it. I don't like the way it's written.

I'm still keeping "Emerald Key and the Goblet of Dionysus" (Which all of you PJO/HoO fans should check out) but not "The Bandit Heroes".

So yeah, I'll probably delete it on Friday.

Thanks! 😊