Chapter Four

Zedri's POV

Danzelle's a bit uneasy since we went outside my house. Palagi siyang lumilingon and at the same time, she keeps on hiding her face with the hood on her jacket. At kahit nandito na kami sa park, ang weird pa rin niya.

I just reached for her hand and squeezed it gently. She glanced up at me and gave me her frustrated look. "Take off your jacket. Tirik yung araw." Sabi ko sa kanya.

She shook her head and give me her I'm-not-gonna-do-that look. I smiled and pat her head.

"Come on, Danzelle. Ang init-init kaya. The dress suits you so let them see it. Believe me, you look beautiful." Lalo pang lumuwag yung ngiti ko nung nakita kong namula siya. Then she write something on her white board.

I CAN MANAGE.

"Really?" I ask, and she nods. "Well then, let's get your hair cut. I can't see your face with that kind of hair you have."

PLEASE NO.

"Danzelle. It's just a haircut. Para na rin maaliwalas 'yang mukha mo. Masyado nang mahaba." Tumayo na ako but she's still looking at me. "Come on. We don't have all day." But she reached for my arm, so I turned to look at her.

YOU DONT HAVE TO DO THIS.

"But I want to." Lumapit ako ng konti sa kanya and let my hand caress her cheek gently. "It's the least thing I know I could do to make you smile." Her face flushed and suddenly looked away.

Yeah, I haven't seen her smile. Kahit kalahating taon ko na siyang kasama sa bahay. That's why I'm doing this. I want to see her smile. I want to end her pain.

____________________

"So, how's your new hair? Feel comfortable with it?" She nods and licked her ice cream. I can't help but to smile and stare at her. This young woman sitting next to me, who's wearing a dress as beautiful as her, eating ice cream with me. I know that I lifted up her mood a little. I know I made her forget about what she feels deep inside. I made her forget her pain.

"Can I ask how old are you?" Then here comes her confused look again. "It's... It's okay if you don't want to answer. I'm just... uhh, curious."

Since she came into my life pangalan niya pa lang yung alam ko. Honestly, I want to know everything about her. Everything. Pati na rin yung kung anong nangyari sa kanya. I have many questions in mind that I'm eager to know the answers. But I'm afraid that it would hurt her a lot kung aalalahanin na naman niya yung mga nangyari sa kanya. Kahit hindi niya sabihin, alam kong it's something tragic and painful.

Naputol yung pagmo-moment ko nung kinalabit niya ko. Binasa ko yung sinulat niya sa whiteboard.

20

So she's four years younger than me. "Danzelle, if you don't mind, I want to know if you have a family who might be looking for you. I just..." Tinignan ko yung magiging reaction niya pero nakatulala lang siya. She took a deep breath and write something on the board. 

WALA.

Pagkatapos na pagkatapos kong basahin, binura niya agad yung sinulat niya. And once again, her sad, lifeless eyes appeared. Damn it Zedri. You're so stupid. I want to punch myself sa ginawa ko. I shouldn't have asked her about her family. Shit.

"I'm sorry. I don't want to rush you, really. I just- God, Danzelle. I'm really..." I reached for her hand, and noticed that she's trembling. Great, Zedri. Great.

Since I ruined her day, nag-decide na rin akong umuwi kami. Simula sa sasakyan, wala siyang kibo. Hanggang sa pumasok na kami ng bahay. Tuloy-tuloy lang siya sa loob ng kwarto. Shit talaga. Napakagaling mong makipag-usap Zedri.

"Sorry for intruding." Napalingon ako, and saw him. Si kuya. "Halos isang oras kong binola si Manang para lang papasukin ako. Banned na ba ako dito sa bahay mo?"

"What's up?" I asked. Nakaupo siya sa sofa ko kaya umupo na rin ako. "What brought you here?"

May inabot siyang brown envelope sa akin. "I'm here to give you this. Yan yung DNA result ni Princess. Positive." I frowned and decided to open it.  So tama pala talaga ako. Our younger sister's dead. Yung bangkay na nakitang nakahandusay sa kalsada, siya pala yung kapatid naming isang taon nang nawawala. 

I looked at Ash, and I can see anger in his blazing eyes. The same thing that I'm feeling right now. Hindi ko namalayang nalukot ko na pala yung  papel. 

"They'll be fucking pay for this. Whoever the fucker is." Inunahan ko na si Ash na magsalita. "I'll seek justice for Princess."

"Sabi ng mga pulis na may possibility na mga most-wanted syndicates yung gumawa nito kay Princess. Malapit lang yung hide-out nila sa area kung saan nakita siyang patay." Ash added.

"Did Mom know about this?" I asked him, worried that Mom's gonna have her heart break once she found out that her long-lost daughter is officially dead.

"Tayong dalawa pa lang yung may alam. Actually, kaya rin ako napadpad dito para sabihin sayo sa ikaw na lang ang bahala kay Mommy. You know how I hate drama." Tumayo na siya and he taps my shoulder. "I think I should go now. I'll call you if there's improvement  on the investigation."

Hindi ko na pinansin si Ash at hindi ko na rin namalayan kung umalis na siya. My gaze trained on the crumpled paper in my hand, which stating the fact that my lovely sister is really dead.

Ang tagal kong ipinagdasal na sana buhay pa siya. It's been so long--so long that It feels like a decade--that we keep on hoping and waiting that she's alive. 

"I'll kill them, I swear to God. Lahat ng may kinalaman sa pagkamatay mo, idadamay ko. I promise you that, Marlee."

_______________________________

'Ciao!

~FORCiNGLAUGHTER01