Day and Night

It was three days since Emily told me to back off from her son. The first day I didn't really pay attention to his ignorance, but now depression slowly took over me. I asked myself if he did listen to his mother, but I knew I couldn't answer that question. So I decided to go to him and ask him straight.
   I apparated in front of his house and rang the doorbell. Their butler greeted me and I walked inside. Hearing laughter coming from the garden I headed towards it and when I finally reached them I spotted William sitting next to a lovely girl, just as beautiful and modest as his mother, and in front of them stood Emily. Her eyes met mine and her lips parted, which caused Will to turn around.
"Paige!" He said happily and got up from the chair to greet me with a hug. "What are you doing here? I thought you were sick?" I gave him a puzzled look.
"Sick?"
"Yes, my mo..."
"Ah, Paige! What a lovely surprise to have you here."His mother cut in, knowing what she lied about me being sick.
"The pleasure is all mine, Emily."
"I was just introducing William to the daughter of Rufus Scrimgeour, but I doubt that you are familiar with that name."
"I do know very well who he is. It's pleasure to meet you?" I knew he was Head of the Auror Office, but I had to remain calm and be kind.
"Fiona." The girl gently spoke and I felt how far from perfection I was compared to her.
"Yes. She and William will be working together in the Ministry." That snake was trying to set him up with this... this far beyond beauty girl... behind my back.
"Will, may I have a word with you?" I asked quietly, but enough loud for them to hear.
"Yes, of course." He placed his hand behind my back and led me to a safe distance. "What's wrong?"
"Your mother doesn't approve me." The words got out of my mouth quickly and his eyes opened widely.
"How... Why do you think that, of course she does." He said with a laugh.
"No, Will. She doesn't." I took a deep breath and gathered all the bravery I had. "She forbid me to go to your library because I am a muggle." He looked at his mother who smiled kindly at him. "She said that I am standing on your way." He shook his head in disbelieve. "Will, I am not lying!"
"My mother would never say anything like that. She's treating you well."
"Yes, in front of you!" I couldn't believe it, but on second thought he was a mommy's boy, meaning his mother was the woman in his life and no other will replace her. "She said that if I cared for you I should back away from you. That's why she told you I was sick! I wasn't sick, I was at home!"
"That's enough, Paige!" The way he shouted those words at my face, made me close my mouth. "I think you should go." I opened my mouth in shock and without another word walked out the mansion.
   I couldn't believe what he said. I wanted to scream, to break something, to eat a whole cake. It was beyond obvious that what I told him was true, why couldn't he see it.
  When I returned home my mother noticed that something was wrong and when she asked me what was going on I told her everything. She listened to me carefully and when I was done she took a deep breath.
"Honey, just let him think about what he did. You do your things and try not to think about how he still hasn't called."
"I know, but mum, how can I be with someone who only believes what his mother says. She hates me, she will do anything to keep us apart, and he is stupid enough to do so." I was walking in circles around the living room, I couldn't stay in one place.
"Maybe this will help you decide if you want to me with that man or not." Her words made me stop.
"What do you mean?"
"Well even if you deny it I know that you got with that boy because you believed you'll forget about Fred." Silence followed. The way she said it made me feel horrible. As if I was using Will in order to forget about Fred.
"Honey, you haven't done anything bad. Everyone believes that one love can be forgotten with another." My mother spoke again when she noticed I got even more nervous. "William truly is a very good choice of a man, but is he really for you? Sometimes when you combine two good things the result isn't the best. It's like to look at the sun and the stars at the same time. You won't see the stars because of the daylight, but when the night comes and we can see the moon, the stars are beautiful."   I felt how my lip trembled and my mother quickly got up to embrace me in her arms. I didn't cry because of pain, I cried because I never realized how perfectly I was stacking with Fred until now. William was really the better choice for many reasons, but we never stacked. And his mother was right, I didn't belong in his world no matter how much I wished. The only way I could, was to be someone that I am not, and I would never change myself for someone who doesn't even believe in my words.