Chapter 7

Callie jumped when she heard Sam's key turn in the door; she'd been so lost in thought, she hadn't heard him come up the fire escape.

"Everything okay?" he asked.

She nodded. "Sure, why wouldn't it be?"

"No problems while I was gone?"

She shook her head.

"Good. So, do you have your list ready? Gill's waiting downstairs to go and retrieve your things. We'll be leaving this evening to visit a witch who may be able to help with your amulet."

"Witches? Seriously? What's next? Werewolves, fairies, and leprechauns?" Callie scoffed, snorting in disbelief.

Sam chuckled at the snort, finding it cute. "Seamus is the last of the true leprechauns," he said seriously, "but there are plenty of half-bloods scattered around Ireland. A lot of pure bloods died during the great storm, many of those remaining moved to America when the potato famine struck so soon after." She stood with her mouth hanging open and Sam continued, "Werewolves on the other hand don't live here as wolves aren't native to Ireland. We do get the occasional visiting wolf. There are, however, plenty of other were-animals. Gill for example is a were-fox. Now, may I have your list please?"

"Don't need one. Adie packed a bag for me and left it by the front door," Callie confessed. "She knows about this by the way, we have like this bond thing and she can tell when I'm lying, feels my pain and knows when I'm happy or sad, stuff like that... and when I'm dead too, apparently."

Sam groaned and went to give Gill the key for Callie's house so she could retrieve the bag. Knowing Gill she'll keep me to the bonus and day off anyway.

When he came back in, he was carrying the box containing the blood and Callie could smell it from the other side of the flat. She followed him into the kitchen, colliding with his back when he stopped to get a 12-volt travel fridge from the cupboard. It was at that moment they both felt it, a magnetic pull, an undeniable compulsion for one to touch the other. Sam set the box down on the counter and turned slowly to face an enraptured Callie. He raised his hand to push a strand of her ebony hair behind her ear, caressing her jawline with the back of his fingers as he did. Her skin felt as smooth as porcelain and her hair, despite her recent death, shone with vitality and health.

Callie raised her hands to his chest and closed her eyes, savouring the feel of his touch.

He drew her head forward to place his lips gently on hers. The hand not cupping her head moved to her waist, pulling her closer still. A flame of passion took her as he deepened the kiss, sweeping his tongue across her lips, seeking entrance to her moist depths.

Her legs wrapped around his waist when he lifted her onto the worktop. Moaning in ecstasy as her tongue danced and stroked his, their passion flared, the evidence of his excitement pressed against her core, exciting her more.

His taste changed suddenly, becoming intoxicating. Her fangs extended in anticipation of what her mind had not yet registered as blood. He pulled away gasping for breath and stepped back a couple of paces.

Callie groaned in disappointment, her eyes shooting open to search his face for any evidence that he had felt the connection too. That the passion she felt was real and shared.

A trickle of crimson dripped from his lip where she bit him in her enthusiasm.

Sam kept his eyes closed trying to show no emotion until he felt he had control again. An inner battle raged between his hormones and conscience. It was a close call, and next time his hormones might not give up so easily. Using the back of his hand, he wiped the trace of blood from his lip as he turned away, opening his eyes.