Chapter 3 - Parallel Orders from Parallel Worlds

Start from the beginning

An angry fist hit the arm of the throne. “Yes! I am aware of that!”

She nervously shifted at Auronmar’s agitated words. “Yes. We, uh, believe within the current mortal year or so her slaughter began and still continues. ”

Auronmar sighed and stared at the ground before he stood up. The demons flinched in awe. Their king was standing up during a debriefing before those of status below his. It was almost a compliment to the demons, but they knew his action was out of uneasiness.

Neeri gathered her courage to speak. “Your…Your Grace?”

He answered her with stern yet cool eyes. She shrunk. “Yes?” he nevertheless said.

“We…we believe Blethinette’s forces to strike us soon. While the castle is well hidden under your Magika, she is now no longer distracted and will be determined to seek you until found.”

Auronmar placed his hands behind his back as he stiffly stood before his seat. “I am aware of that, Neeri.”

Again his words belittled her. “Of course, Your Majesty. I simply—”

He turned away from them. “Thank you for your reports, my First Class warriors” he hastily said and dismissed them.

An out-of-tune choir of “Your Majesty” rang out from the four demons before they bowed and exited. Gahn, who was leaning against the wall right of the throne, had not spoken a word during the entire debriefing. He came up to Auronmar as the king walked down the platform’s single step to meet him.

“Scary, isn’t it?” Gahn smirked. “She’s trying to find Magika blessed humans to add to her army. Makes it kinda hard to fight them, no? Killing the very humans you’re trying to protect?”

Accustomed to his informalities, Auronmar remained silent. Blethinette’s search of Magika bestowed humans had been the first basis of Neeri’s report. However, he never would have guessed she would start killing off any humans that did not meet her standards. She had never spoken about any ambitions of slaughtering them.

Auronmar gave a small sighbefore saying, “It is apparent Radi’s power is being put to appropriate use.”

Gahn’s smile fell from his face. He said nothing.

He eyed him with brief silence. “How are they coming along?”

Gahn immediately answered, knowing whom he meant. “They’re doing really well. Dante is a superb fighter, true to his Berserker lineage. He’s even capable of keeping up with me.”

Auronmar raised an eyebrow that did not believe anyone could see Gahn, much less keep up with him. The speedy demon caught the gesture.

“Well I did go easy on him for a while,” Gahn elaborated, “but it was still impressive how well he kept up even with my reduced speed. Today he asked me to go all out on him to test the strength of his Berserker hide. He withstood about eight seconds of my attacks. He did really well.”

The demon king could not help but give a small smile. “Eight thousand fatal blows.”

“Eh. More like eight hundred since I still went easy on him, but yeah, he is a great warrior.”

“What of Reyna?”

“Ah. The cutie sometimes struggles under pressure, but she is a great at the defensive. She’s mastered her powers well though she chooses to rely on her hybrid powers over her classical Magika. She does well in controlling that blue stuff of hers.” Gahn placed a hand out and wiggled his fingers to add emphasis.

Though adapt to his usual quirks, Auronmar still gave him a tired sigh. “How does she fare against you?”

“She’s alright. Not as well as Dante, but she can still keep up with me pretty well. I only train with her a few hours during which I gradually increase my speed. She adapts to situations, but it takes a while. Like I said, she defends well against my attacks. Her ability to sense Magika is very impressive and tremendously helps her with that, but as far as hitting me, the cutie doesn’t do that well.”